Go Bottom

ebay Tractor pricing

View my Photos
ridefxstd
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-03-27          126711

I have been on ebay looking at Kubota tractors. I have come across sellers that have models in 25-35 hp range with backhoe and attachments,low hrs (39 in one case) that are getting no bids. I emailed one seller and he gave me info that he ships from Netherlands (one week free shipping on TNT),Uses a secure exchange of money approved by ebay.The seller reveiws are good but the fact they have such low prices($5,000) for buy now,the tractors are out of the US and are getting no bids scares me away.Has anyone had experience with this?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

ebay Tractor pricing

View my Photos
DenisS

2006-03-27          126713

IMHO, if I can't test drive it, I won't buy it, period. ....

ebay Tractor pricing

View my Photos
JasonR
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-03-27          126729

It's a scam. If the deal is too good to believe, it's a scam. (I had to repeat it.)

Things that make it obvious:

1. It's a private listing, bidders must be approved.
2. Don't use my ebay email, use this one instead.
3. There's a 'buy it now' price in the add, but the ebay 'buy it now' wasn't used.
4. You have to pay via wire transfer or something that can't be reversed.
5. It's a 3 day or 1 day listing, as they know it will be pulled by ebay in 12-48 hours.
6. All pictures are of tractors that have already sold on ebay.

Those emails everyone has gotten from 'ebay' asking for your personal information - well that's how they 'hijaak' the account. They're using someone else's account for the fraudulent listing. Hence the positive feedback.

Ebay has a major issue on their hands, as there are always numerous scam listings any time you look for tractors. (Who knows what it's like for other auctions.) To attempt to thwart would make it more work for a legit auction, so that would hurt ebay's sales. Until the scams cut into their profits, there's not much motivation for ebay to fix it - after all - if you fall for it - you lose.

Jason ....

ebay Tractor pricing

View my Photos
schunter

2006-03-27          126744

anyone can sell you a $25,000 tractor for $5000 that does not exist. the shipping is free b/c nothing will be shipped. they all list prices like: 2500$us or $2500us.
they usually have a US location listed in the ad (where the hacked account came from). when you contact them they are abroad but work for a company (usually fedex) that will ship to your door for free. the scams are pretty easy to spot. they love kubota and john deere. it was pretty bad with four wheelers when i was shopping too. basicly any high dollar motorized item that does not typically require a title or registration.
do a web search using the words "ebay scam" and sit back and read for days.

ebay Tractor pricing

View my Photos
SG8NUC
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-03-28          126805

If you want a tractor go find a good dealer someone you can trust and go to for help. You chances of finding a pot of gold on E-Bay is slim. ....

ebay Tractor pricing

View my Photos
Terpy

2006-05-20          129621

Just ran across one of those "too good to be true" listings on ebay. A guy from Denmark with tractor located in Texas wanted just $4600 for a BX24 with just 5 hours on it. I began emailing back and forth with the seller and caught him in several lies. Its just a reminder to be carefull and I agree that if I cant test drive it I wont buy it. ....

ebay Tractor pricing

View my Photos
chipuren

2006-05-21          129657

I think they stay under $5000 because the FBI will not investigate a crime under $5000. At least I think I read that somewhere, probably the phoney cashier check scam, that seems to have died down some now. I sell quite a bit on ebay but as Jason said, the clues are obvious. Usually the escrow service is a fraud and that is where the money disappears. I wonder how many $million these scumbags steal every year... ....

ebay Tractor pricing

View my Photos
superduper

2006-06-28          131474

Ebay identity theft is very common. Too common. Construction equipment is especially vulnerable, especially with respect to tractors and skidsteers. You've gotten those e-mails before asking you to update your info? Some people actually falls for it and give up their info only to find that their good ID is used to create such scams. The most telling sign is that the auctions urge you not to contact them through the ebay mechanism because they are above their limit. Ultimately, you pay their $3995 buy it now price and get nothing in return. By the time you figure out it is a scam, they have taken the money and ran. ....

ebay Tractor pricing

View my Photos
Walwil44

2006-07-11          132002

TNT is a valid shipper. So just go and check the price to ship 1500+ lbs. It will be about $9000 for UK to US for 5-7 day delivery.

There is no way that this deal is real. ....

ebay Tractor pricing

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-07-11          132005

Last week there was a Kubota for less than $50 in the UK. Come on, less than $50. It was a very new tractor. Yes they would ship it here but to elinimate not serious bidders you had to email them direclty. For less than $50 what bidder would not be serious? I would have bought three if it had been real. ....

ebay Tractor pricing

View my Photos
Murf

2006-07-11          132009

They also sometimes use very sneaky tricks to make it so close to legal that it can be explained away as a misunderstanding between languages.

I met a fellow at the dealers this spring who was returning a set of manuals for a Kubota. He thought he was getting a real deal from an estate sale via eBay. The seller was alledgedly the estate on behalf of the family. Everything was done by email because the seller was a travelling businessman. The deal was made, an escrow agent was involved, the money was paid to the escrow agent who in turn told the shipping company to send the tractor to the buyer.

A week later he got a call from the shipping company about scheduling an appointment for the delivery. The following morning the shipping companys truck pulled up, and a man came to the door with a medium sized box. When the puzzled buyer said there was an error, he was expecting a tractor, the driver said "Yup, that's what the waybill says it is too, sign here please.".

He opened the box to find a beatifully detailed die cast model of the tractor he thought he was getting.

He called the police who said they would look into it, but likely he would have to go after the seller in court, if he could find him, but since he actually received a tractor, albeit just a model of one, it was *not* theft, and it would be hard to even prove it was fraud.

Buyer beware.........

Best of luck. ....

ebay Tractor pricing

View my Photos
earthwrks

2006-07-11          132010

KT: Only 3--you're a rich man--get at least 4 (one for me and I'll give ya double your money) ....

ebay Tractor pricing

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-07-11          132011

Murf,

Hate to admit my father in law and his Dad got the boat and motor like that. Have no idea now on the motor but the boat was a tiny inflatable. This was years before Al Gore came up with internet.

Earthwrks,

One was for you. One for Murf. One for Art. One for Oneance. One for Iowafun. One for DeniS. Well I am sure there was more than one at the price they were.

In this case I am ROFLMBO sure hope I have those letter correct. ....

ebay Tractor pricing

View my Photos
ihookem

2006-07-28          132766

Last week I was on ebay and saw a Kubota 2630 for sale. They stated it was bought by John Deere and was tested with warranty pending. The pics looked like it was in Iowa or the midwest somewhere. Buy it now was 6k. I believed it because I know car companies strip them down. And why not? I emailed his personal email, not through ebay. He mailed me back and said it was his brothers tractor but his brother died in a car accident and the tractor was in England so he only had pictures until I send money. The next day the add was pulled. I knew it was a scam when he changed stories inside of two emails, would not bring it over to the states,would not let me see it, and of coarse a tragedy for sympathy. I told him I would buy it if I could see it and ride it for 6k. NEVER HEARD FROM HIM AGAIN!! ....

ebay Tractor pricing

View my Photos
ihookem

2006-07-28          132767

Last week I was on ebay and saw a Kubota 2630 for sale. They stated it was bought by John Deere and was tested with warranty pending. The pics looked like it was in Iowa or the midwest somewhere. Buy it now was 6k. I believed it because I know car companies strip them down. And why not? I emailed his personal email, not through ebay. He mailed me back and said it was his brothers tractor but his brother died in a car accident and the tractor was in England so he only had pictures until I send money. The next day the add was pulled. I knew it was a scam when he changed stories inside of two emails, would not bring it over to the states,would not let me see it, and of coarse a tragedy for sympathy. I told him I would buy it if I could see it and ride it for 6k. NEVER HEARD FROM HIM AGAIN!! ....

ebay Tractor pricing

View my Photos
candoarms

2007-05-14          142095

Dear friends,

I've spotted many fraudulent auctions on e-bay, dealing with tractors of all makes and models. E-bay is serious about eliminating these fraudulent auctions. They are very helpful, and respond immediately to any reports.

However, the ebay fraud reporting process is a bit complicated, and requires more time than it should. Still, I report all fraudulent auctions promptly, so that nobody gets taken to the cleaners by these crooks. I wish more people would take the time to report these fraudlent listings.

Stay away from these tractor sales in which the prices seem too good to be true. It's a scam, a crime, and these dirty crooks should be dragged around by a rope until there is nothing left but the knot.

Joel ....

ebay Tractor pricing

View my Photos
backwoodsal

2007-05-15          142114

I saw an auction on ebay for a skid steer for #1000 that came with free overnight shipping by FedEx. I think since then these scam artists have come to learned to try harder to hide flaws like shipping a large piece of equipment overnight.

Any auction that asks you to e-mail him not through ebay is a big question mark. If you have a question if an auction is ligit just send a note to ebay's fraud department and ask them. ....

ebay Tractor pricing

View my Photos
randywatson

2007-05-17          142160

Ditto to all of the above, plus if you get scammed, and file a report with local PD it is likely not prosecutable,

Try and convince a local District Attorney that you have the correct culprit properly identified, and then issue a warrant, and then get the Police in another country to arrest that person, and then get that person to the US for trial...not likely to happen...plus if the account is hijacked for purpose of fraud, it is not possible to id the " seller" cause you have to be able to prove "who is behind the keyboard"

I don't do e-bay...I get to many fraud reports from victims .....:-( ....

ebay Tractor pricing

View my Photos
botics

2007-07-20          143908

Being in the computer business myself and witness to several clients who have "trusted" overseas transactions on eBay:

It is a bad deal.

They get your money, close the ebay account, and whamo- you are left high and dry.

'nuff said on this topic. ....

ebay Tractor pricing

View my Photos
ihookem

2007-07-22          143955

I e mailed them once and it was a big sob story about him selling it cause it was his brother's in England that died in a car accident and he's in Texas. The price was cheap because in England there is no demand for them. Mai himm two days laer and a whole different story. Now it's in Georgia???? At 2600 dollars for a 7510. Had to be a scam. At those prices I'd have several tractors. ....

ebay Tractor pricing

View my Photos
HuckFynn

2007-07-31          144241

Recently, I looked at a 40-45 hp Kubota tractor listed on Ebay, which happened to be only 4 miles from where I live. It was a legit listing from a legit dealer. I didnt bid on it, but almost immediately after it was sold (for about $16,000), the same photo was re-listed by someone in Texas...and for $5,000.

If it's too cheap, it's a scam. I wldnt bid on any tractor on Ebay unless I test drove it. NO EXCEPTIONS. ....

ebay Tractor pricing

View my Photos
botamac

2007-08-03          144303

I found this on the web this morning…. Interesting

SYDNEY, Australia (AP) - An Australian court ordered a man to hand over a vintage plane worth about $215,000 after he tried to back out of an eBay auction, a newspaper reported Friday.
The New South Wales state Supreme Court ordered Vin Thomas to complete the deal after he changed his mind about selling the 1946 World War II Wirraway plane he had placed on the Internet auction site last year, the Sydney Morning Herald reported.
Peter Smythe, a Australian warplane enthusiast, was the only person to bid on the item, matching the $128,640 reserve price just moments before the auction ended in August last year.
But Thomas had already agreed to sell the plane to someone else for $85,800 more than Smythe's offer, and backed out of the sale, the newspaper said.
Smythe took Thomas to court, hoping a judge would force him to follow through with the deal.
Judge Nigel Rein agreed, saying the eBay auction formed "a binding contract between the plaintiff and the defendant and ... should be specifically enforced."

Go Top

Share This

Member Login