Go Bottom

Kubota L2800 or BX7800 vs New Holland TC30

View my Photos
bgreeley
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-09-28          146188

Hi
I'm trying to narrow this down. Purchased 70 acres but about 12 of it is usable. 12 degree slope.. general farm use. Is the 4 cylinder on the BX7800 a big deal vs looking at the L2800 or the New Holland TC30. In my area (Portland, OR) the prices I was quoted were $16,454 for the L2800hst-f and 16,198 for the B7800hsd-f both with industrial tires. The price for the New Holland TC30 was $14,999 which seems like a pretty big difference.
Thanks for any input

Picture Link

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
hardwood

2007-09-28          146190

BGreely; Maybe help us out a bit here. You say general farm use for the 12 acres, do you mean row crops, hay or pasture use, or maybe a truck garden. The equipment you will need to work the 12 acres will be different dependeng on your end use. Row crops will call for more power per acre than forage, so likely ag tires would be best there. Forage would be less power cemanding, but if you have big bales in mind they call for a tractor more in the 40-50 hp. range with ag or industrual tires. Truck gardening can call for lots of tillage, slow PTO tiller work, with either ag or industrial tires. In any case a front end loader is almost a must anymore, you will use it daily for somethng. They go on and off the tractor in a few minutes anymore. Others here can give more and better advice far as the brand of tractor is concerned, I have Deere, so I am not totally up on blue and orange. Frank. ....

Picture Link

View my Photos
kleinchris

2007-09-28          146191

Greeley- what else is being offered with these machines? Front end loader, hydraulics packages, hydrostatic trans? ....

Picture Link

View my Photos
candoarms
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-09-28          146192

Bgreely,

There's a big difference, depending on which side of the Cascades your land is located.

If you're on the west side of the Cascades, in most years you'll be facing some pretty muddy conditions. We have a member on this board who lives on the west side of the Cascades, and he has some mighty bad things to say about hills, mud, and R4 tires. (He has the pictures to prove it!)

Portland receives more rain in one month than I get all year, here in North Dakota. On the other hand, if your land is located on the east side of the Cascades, you'll be facing an entirely different set of challenges.

As for pricing, I believe it best to look at the total cost you'll be paying at the end of the loan, rather than look only at the prices you've been quoted.

Due to the many financing incentives the various manufacturers now offer, it's possible that the highest initial price may turn out to be the lowest in the end.

I highly suggest that you take a good hard look at the financing packages available to you before settling on something just because of the dealer prices. In some cases, you can get a tractor at 0% interest for 3 years. In other cases, you may qualify for a large cash discount, depending on the model you purchase.

The other issue you may want to investigate is the resale value of the various makes in your area. One brand may command a much higher resale value in the used market. This is a factor to consider, as well.

Additionally, due to the somewhat ridiculous amount of electronics, computers, and wires in some of the newer tractors these days -- it might be best to stay away from certain brands in the very wet areas west of the Cascades. Water and electricity don't mix.....even when it comes to tractors.

From experience, and from the reports I've read over the years -- a simple, dependable machine, is often better than one that has lots of fancy bells and whistles.

I can't say enough good things about my orange machine. It's simple, rugged, reliable, and absolutely trouble-free. There are no wires, electronics, computers, or anything else to get wet and cause a failure. When I go to trade this tractor off, I'll be looking for another Kubota B-Series tractor.......probably a B7610, or the B7800.

Good luck with your purchase, and enjoy your new machine.

Joel ....

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-09-28          146206

When using three point hitch attachemnts on side hills it is a good idea to have good stabilizers on both sides of the hitch to control the down hill draft. ....

View my Photos
mobilus

2007-09-28          146208

Bgreely,

I have a Kubota L2800 HST 4WD w/R4s with FEL 5' finish mower and box blade. I paid $17,200 for the package. I couldn't be happier with its performance. I agree with Joel that you should really put some thought into your tire selection. Check with other CUT owners in the area. Of course, each tire choice brings a different set of abilities and limitations. I'm very happy with the R4s, but the area I live in (North Texas)is pretty flat. I've put 160 hours on mine since I bought it in February of this year. It doesn't have as many bells and whistles as some of Kubota's offerings, but it is a great tractor for basic needs.

My dad recently bought a B7800 HST with 4WD and R4s. He is in LA (Lower Alabama) and he's very happy with his choice as well. Kubota is a great tractor. He mostly uses his to mow his property. It is definitely a smaller tractor than the L2800, and I don't think its four-cylinder runs any smoother than the three-cylinder in the L2800.

Good luck! ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login