Go Bottom

Potential B1700 purchase

View my Photos
bkuiper
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2009-01-20          159659

I am considering a 1997 B1700 with 450 hrs. The tractor is 2WD and has the gear transmission rather than the more popular hydrostatic. Comes with 60" belly mower, no FEL. Tractor is extra clean and well cared for. Priced at right around $4500, probably could get it for $4000. I have two questions: 1) Is the price in the ballpark or too high for not having a hydro tranny? 2) Would I regret the transmission for lawn mowing/snow blowing, my intended uses. I currently mow & blow with a JD with hdyrostat, although it's the older hand operated tranny. Thanks for your help! I WANT A DIESEL!!!

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Potential B1700 purchase

View my Photos
candoarms
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-01-20          159660

Bkuiper,

I have the next size up......the B2100. It's a great little tractor, and I don't have a single bad word to say for it. However, I know that I wouldn't be able to do half of my chores without 4-wheel drive.....especially snow removal.

The price is right on the B1700, but I suppose that depends upon whether or not it will do the job for you. Honestly, I don't think you'd be very happy with it.

The 4-wheel drive models run about double that, but they're also capable of doing twice as much work.

A compact tractor without 4x4 drive is extremely handicapped.

Joel ....

Potential B1700 purchase

View my Photos
bkuiper

2009-01-20          159661

Thanks for the reply. I currently blow snow with a garden tractor with chains on the rear tires and have had few if any trouble. Do those of you who blow snow with a compact utility tractor use chains & weights or is 4WD the only way to go. Also, I would probably end up purchasing a tiller. Is 2WD capable of tilling in light soil? ....

Potential B1700 purchase

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-01-20          159662

I plow and have 4wd, but would have been stuck dozens of times without 4wd. There's a good reason 2wd machines sell for much less money. ....

Potential B1700 purchase

View my Photos
candoarms

2009-01-20          159664

Bkuiper,

Two things about tillers.

1. Slow ground speeds are required.
2. Maximum engine rpms are needed.

You'll be limited by how slow you can go with the gear transmission. At max rpms in first gear, you'll still be traveling along quite fast for tilling operations. The only way around this problem is to go with a smaller tiller.

A hydro transmission has a built-in creeper gear. You can go as slow as you want.....so slow you can barely see the tires move. The hydro transmission will allow you to slow way down, allowing you to use of a slightly larger tiller.

Joel ....

Potential B1700 purchase

View my Photos
saserby

2009-01-21          159665

I have a larger tractor than you with hydro and 4x4. I use it to mow, rototill and just recently to blow snow. I would say I use the 4x4 sometimes, especially when tilling, but for normal use on level ground, I might be able to get by without it. But, for me, the hydro is a must. If you have it now, you won't be happy going back to shifting gears. ....

Potential B1700 purchase

View my Photos
kthompson

2009-01-21          159673

If you want a FEL you probably should fine tractor with it due to price of buying new FEL. I have a B2710 with hydrostat and use it to mow a lot, both with RFM and Rough Cut. For those used really like the hydrostat trans. I also use it to spray with a good bit both in yards and fields. In fields don't like the hydro as keeping speed steady and setting it not that easy. For any stop and go or run fast and slow or backing up and then forward work I think you will really enjoy the hydrostate trans more than you might believe. Mine also has 4 whd and use it right often, even with mower as the tractor is so light if I get on damp sloop it helps to prevent spinning and damage in my MIL yard. :( Only second snow yesterday in last eight winters here. Why some areas got 4 inches. Our house might had 3/4 inch. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login