Go Bottom

Kubota Dealer fixed prices at MSRP

View my Photos
mdpinh
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2009-03-05          160812

Hi,

Can anyone tell me if a kubota dealer sets the retail price on the tractors? The dealer I talk with said that kubota sets the price. If so , Do you think 16,5 for a
new B7800 with loader is a good price and said they are no
longer making that model?

Mark

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
auerbach
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-03-05          160819

The maker sets the wholesale price the dealer pays, and provides a "SUGGESTED list price." The dealer can ask for whatever he wants, and you can offer whatver you want. A discontinued model generally sells for less than list. ....

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-03-05          160831

I am not a dealer nor work with one but Husky power equipment is the only product line I have ever heard of manf setting the selling price FIRMLY. If the company set the selling price firmly, then there would only be factory discounts and sales and no difference between dealerships which we know is not true. Most all retailers will take a loss on a product from time to time to get an old item moved. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2009-03-05          160833

Maybe you misunderstood what the dealer was telling you.

Kubota Finance is who really owns most dealer stock, they are the ones who fund the dealers "floor plan" or inventory loan. If a dealer starts to sell for too slim a margin to support the dealership adequately, I'm pretty sure the nice people at the factory would have a little talk with them about how much longer they wished to stay a dealer. ;)

On the other side of the coin, if a particular dealer consistently tries to price himself too high they would be just as likely to have a 'little chat' with him.

In my local area the factory got tired of a dealer keeping prices artificially low to take tenders, then selling parts and service for nothing less than MSRP prices to make up his profits. They showed up one day and told him that he was no longer a dealer.

It must be working, Kubota has the lion's share of the market.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2009-03-05          160840

Stihl is one mfg. I'm aware of that will not allow a dealer to discount their List Price---I've tried, trust me!

New Holland Agriculture (not NH Construction which is a different business arm) has a working relationship with Ford Motor Co. employees to buy at Factory Invoice. It works the same way as an Employee Discount on a vehicle: You visit the dealer, provide some sort of Ford ID (check stub or ID badge) and they will literally open their books to you and show you the FACTORY INVOICE --not the DEALER invoice which can be any arbitrary number. My dealer, actually the owner himself, showed me the actual invoice, wrote up the sale and told me he was prohibited from charging any more than factory invoice. He gets to keep a "6% hold-back" and calls that profit. I paid cash for mine. About a year later I bought and financed a skid steer through him and Case-New Holland Credit. Even though the skid steer was not technically eligible for the employee discount, the owner did the same thing by showing me the factory invoice and added 6% to the sale (not technically a hold-back, but rather a favor to me for buying another machine from him). The other part of the Employee Discount is you can get discounts on implements over $1000.

About a month after I bought my skid steer I got a call from the local Cat dealer asking me why I bought a NH. I told them they are too costly. They invited me in and showed me they could have beaten the price even with my discount! But too late! Apparently Cat pays a woman to search the sales database through the State when Cat loses a sale. And they want to find out why. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2009-03-06          160844

Hey Fat Fingers EW..if correct Cat could still beat the price you paid..then NH must really be high price. I wonder on that ole Phat Phingers. Makes me think since they knew you have already bought all you would, they just tried to upset you by this. (Here called getting your goat. Don't have one now do you!) Unless Cat has a program where they offer real discounts to those who are eligible for discounts as you were with NH. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2009-03-06          160848

Oaky Kinny yoeu got me this tme!

But at least I know the difference between "loose" and "lose"--- so there!

Yup, got my goat. We say the same thing here--well at least I do--'cause I was raised on a small farm--and we had goats too.

View my Photos
kthompson

2009-03-06          160849

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthwrks | view 160848
Oaky Kinny yoeu got me this tme! But at least I know the difference between "loose" and "lose"--- so there!Yup, got my goat. We say the same thing here--well at least I do--'cause I was raised on a small farm--and we had goats too.Which brings me to this riddle: Why do sheep farmers wear those high-top rubber boots? Answer: They put the sheep's back legs in 'em so they can't "get away". Baa--aa--ad joke right?

Glad you knew the answer, don't raise sheep in this part of the world. Weather is too hot for their wool I guess. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login