Go Bottom

B21 Price Info

View my Photos
MikeInOnt
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2002-05-20          38821

Like many I'm about to do what many have wanted to (In other words the wife has said ok...) and am looking at picking up a TLB. Seems I started out looking at older smaller units and like everything else I'm up to looking at newer and "better" , in my case a B21. I've got a small acrage, 5 acres, that needs work, a little pond to clean up around...so yes it will be a working toy around home but my goal is to accumulate a few things while I'm employed and to start a small retirement business in 5 years.

Now used units are like hens teeth in these parts, eastern Ontario, and units seem to sell quickly. A reputable dealer has a 98 B21 TLB, 2800 hrs used by a commercial landscaper in the shop now. He says all seals, bushings etc are checked and replaced if need be, all fluids drained and inspected.... all his units have a 30 day power train warranty, and he does indeed do a lot of commercial business and has been in business for quite some time. They are also firm,firm,firm on any price they set as they turn alot of units and know they offer value.

So is $25,000 cdn (@16,250 US) generally a fair price for a 98 B21 with 2800 hrs, a full cab, front tires have been replaced?

And I'm sure it has been asked previously (point me to an archive if need be) what are the steps I should take in inspection and negeotiation? I've dealt with car dealers previously but never equipment dealers....what can I expect?

Is it worthwhile paying someone to come and inspect the unit for me?

Any and all advise greatly appreciated!!!!

Mike in eastern Ontario.

mdburke@magma.ca

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

B21 Price Info

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-05-20          38833

Mike don't know what cab you have but a new unit has a retail price of 29,800 amd shoould be bought for just under 25,000. US without the cab. ....

B21 Price Info

View my Photos
TomG

2002-05-20          38843

Mike: I bought a mid-80's Ford 1710 from Rath in Arnprior (New Holland) not quite four years ago for around $18,000 and received pretty good deals on some new implements as well. The 1710 has a loader and a canopy but no cab. It also had 485 hours. A 1710 has around 6 more PTO HP and 1000 lbs. more than I think you're looking at. It has 4wd, which I assume the Bota has, but it has a 12 x 4 manual transmission rather than a hydrostatic TX and no mid-pto. HST's and mid-PTO’s add some to the price

To some extent hours on the meter are more important in tractors than year of manufacture in terms of price. Used compacts are rare around here (I'm in the upper valley), but you do hear of low-hour compacts on the used market. 2,800 is getting up there a bit, but considerably before major repairs are often encountered. An older and maybe larger tractor with fewer hours might be good to look at.

Dealers are pretty good at matching equipment to needs and budgets. A good dealer can take a lot of the mystery out of tractor buying. One thing you could help a dealer with is thinking through what type of work you expect to do with the tractor. B21's are fairly small compacts, which give them advantages for some tasks but disadvantages for others. For example, I got my 1710 when I needed to dig 4' trenches. A small tractor couldn’t manage the 6' hoe I needed to do the trenching at acceptable speeds. I might have bought something else if I didn’t know I needed to 4’ – 5’ trenches and excavations. Last year I needed to drill 12” post holes down 4’ for a shed. A smaller tractor may not have been able to drill holes that deep. On the other hand, I still do finish mowing with a riding mower, because the 1710 is too big and heavy to maneuver around our landscaping.

The archives do have a fair amount of relevant reading, but you can't always tell a thread is about tractor buying from the subject. Andy from the UK went through a similar buying experience and discussed it here recently, but I can't remember the subject.

B21 Price Info

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-05-20          38849

For a B21 TLB 4x4 it is a great price, I looked at one here 99 last year and they were asking 25K US with no cab. For a B21 TL 4WD it would be the expected price, maybe a little high. ....

B21 Price Info

View my Photos
RUSTY ROBERTS

2002-07-17          40471

I HAVE A 98 KUBOTA B-21 TBL W/0NLY 1100 HRS, WILL SELL FOR $16,000 US, E-MAIL: EROBERTS@GULFTEL.COM, PH# 251-981-6069 LEAVE MESSAGE, WILL ADD TRAILER FOR $16,500.00 ....

B21 Price Info

View my Photos
kumar2004

2003-09-23          64602

i think as u have mentioned its seems its pretty reasonable value if i had cash available and no extra transportation involved i will go for it

B21 Price Info

View my Photos
UpTheCreekDick

2007-01-21          138983

Mike: I bought my 2003 Kubota B21 TLB this past summer of 2006 for the total price of $21,000 with 203 hrs from a contractor. They are out there but you have to be patient. As this was my 2nd TLB I had some insight as to what to look at. A fresh coat of paint can conceal a multitude of problems, beware. If possible, test run the equipment. Backhoe should be tight at all points with minimal wear. Check all hydraulics for leaks, and operation. Remember, when someone is selling this type of equipment there has to be a reason. Either they plum got all they could out of the equipment and are dumping it before they have to start making repairs or they just plain do not have any use for it. Smart momey, look for something with low hours, you want to start working the equipment not fixing it. If possible have someone go with you that is familiar with construction equipment. Hope this helps....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login