Go Bottom

back blade or box blade

View my Photos
EricBX1500
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-10-06          117490

can anybody list different duties they use there back blade and box blade for. looking for input on which one to purchase. my duties are as follows.

level dirt
maintain 800 gravel driveway
move snow

Im leaning towards the woods 5ft back blade. I know the box blade is useless for snow removal. any input would be helpfull.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

back blade or box blade

View my Photos
bvance
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-10-06          117493

You have a classic conundrum here! You're right the box blade is not good for snow removal but the boxblade is much better at leveling and moving dirt or spreading gravel. It will "carry and fill" material where the blade does not do that very well. The blade allows the material to "leak out" the sides and will leave annoying ridges unless you angle the blade and make successive passes. The box blade has a front blade and a back blade so that when you adjust it with the top link will do a much better job at leaving a smooth finish whereas the angle blade has only one blade and will not leave as smooth of a job moving dirt as the box blade will.

I guess you will have to determine what is more important to you, removing snow easily and struggling with moving dirt or vice-versa.

Good Luck! ....

back blade or box blade

View my Photos
jarndt
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-10-07          117500

If you only need to grade your driveway a couple times a year, you could always rent the box blade as needed and own the angle blade since you will be clearing snow constantly during the winter. A word of warning: clearing snow on a gravel driveway (with any implement) can be tricky business. I've found that operating an angle blade with the convex surface facing into the snow works the best. If you're buying implements for a BX, get one specifically designed for a sub-CUT or you'll be dissappointed. ....

back blade or box blade

View my Photos
kyvette

2005-10-07          117501

Eric, I purchased a 4' box blade for my NH TZ24 and it does a good job of dirt moving and leveling as well as leveling rock. Check my last picture. I used the box blade to cut a 140' new driveway and then used the box to spread the #2 stone placed by the quarry.

It took a number of hours to cut the driveway, but my only cost was the box and fuel. More important is seat time and it sure beats the office.

I also have a 5' rear blade, which I brought used for $50 last spring. Haven't used it yet.

Which one you purchase should depend on your use. ....

back blade or box blade

View my Photos
bvance

2005-10-07          117502

I want to stress jardnt's comment about buying implements especially designed for the BX. I have a Woods box scraper designed for the BX and almost bought a bigger one that was not designed for the BX and am really glad I didn't.

The BX designed box will do everything you want it to and more. Resist the temptation! ....

back blade or box blade

View my Photos
AV8R

2005-10-07          117505

I use my box blade (KK XB48) in conjunction with my front snowblower for snow removal for the past 2 winters with good success. They compliment each other nicely. Box is good for both counter weight and pulling snow away from the edges. ....

back blade or box blade

View my Photos
greg_g

2005-10-07          117515

The box blade has a definite weight advantage when it comes to actually staying on the ground when attempting to move stuff. I used a scraper blade for about 3 years, and never got any real satisfaction with it. Replaced it with a box blade last year, and have moved more since that I did during the whole 3 years I owned the scraper blade. Snow is no problem - if you've got the horsepower and traction. With 45hp and 4wd on R1 tires, I moved some serious snow last winter (serious for Western KY that is)

//greg// ....

back blade or box blade

View my Photos
modyinnh
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2009-04-08          161840

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV8R | view 117505
I use my box blade (KK XB48) in conjunction with my front snowblower for snow removal for the past 2 winters with good success.They compliment each other nicely.Box is good for both counter weight and pulling snow away from the edges.

I agree with AV8R regarding the good counter weight of the box blade. As far as moving snow, I use the box blade in conjunction with the FEL and it works pretty well. Although I don't have much of a driveway I do live in northern NH and do get a lot of snow. I also have snow that I move other than from the driveway. I don't have a back blade but would think that the box would be more versatile.
paul ....

back blade or box blade

View my Photos
auerbach

2009-04-09          161865

At this time of year I'd get a box, and over the summer look for a back, which won't cost much. ....

back blade or box blade

View my Photos
kthompson

2009-04-09          161882

Or use a blade and have ends on it when working the gravel so it does not spill around the ends. It is odd how many will tell you can not work such with a blade yet never have seen the county or state people with box blade working their roads. Hey, what do they know?

And/Or assume they have bought what ever since the winter of 2005 when asking for help. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login