Go Bottom

Kubota steering box bearings

View my Photos
Simon Mills
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-03-11          13652

Can someone help me with the steering box bearing (top and bottom) numbers or a cross over model numbers for a grey market Kubota L2000DT (22hp 3 cyl late 70's early 80's)Greatly appreciated as my tractor is disappearing under the grass rapidly.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2000-03-12          13685

If you are planning to do the work yourself anyways, write down all the information from the old bearings (usually the make and model are on the sides) or take (better still) the bearings with you to a transmission shop that does japanese vehicles, or a jobber (such as Pep Boys, etc.). You will find the exact same bearing will be used in a variety of different things, manufacturers are experts at using existing parts from various suppliers to help keep costs down. Besides, it's amazing how much less a car part is compared to manufacturers like Kubota. As an example, here in Canada, Kubota MSRP for a male quick-connect (Pioneer type) fitting is $24.95, RETAIL price from a dealer who buys from an after-market jobber (Eastern Farm Supply) $4.95, the only thing I can figure is that Kubota orange paint is about $10,000 per litre ($40,000 per gallon for my friends to the south). ....

View my Photos
jeff watson

2000-03-13          13700

As Murf said, tear the sucker apart get the numbers off the bearings and get them from somewhere else. I've never tried an auto parts joint for anything but wheel bearings. Your best bet may be the local industrial bearing joint or try http://www.appliedindustrial.com They have bought up several of the local bearing/power transmission places around here and have gotten me a variety of bearings (including precision ones) overnight.
jeff in nc ....

View my Photos
bud in oh.

2000-03-13          13702

I know it's a slap in the face but a John Deere dealer can cross referance bearings as long as #s are readable on old bearings. I have replaced many bearings through my dealer and the prices are very competitive. ....

View my Photos
Simon Mills

2000-03-13          13706

Thanks for the suggestions-the bearing unfortunately has disintegrated and no numbers are readable only some shell fragments. I am also in New Zealand (check that one in your atlas) and so I really need a number to give to the local dealers. I have looked at the exploded diagram of a L295 and L285 but the import I have is an L2000DT and the systems seem very different. The L2000 bearings seem similar to a bicycle cone and about as robust so maybe the rice field tractors ' steering boxes are deliberatley weaker than the more general purpose tractors built for both NZ and the US. Can someone help with a part number please? ....

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2000-03-14          13724

Simon, try to contact Kubota's 'tech.' people in Japan (at Kubotas web-site), I have found they will often look up such things for you and e-mail you the information back, they are not very fast though. If it is an older model they will quite often offer you a shop manual for a good price also, I think they are looking for ways to get rid of old publications... Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
johnarm

2009-05-07          162587

Crossover for L2000DT is L225DT. -
Early model Kubota steering wheels did not have a hub skirt to prevent rain water running down into the steering column. -
There should be a weep hole at the bottom of the column to drain the rain but it gets plugged up. - The water then accumulates and finds it's way to the bottom bearing. - Kubota knows about this and they sell truck loads of repair kits. - We caught ours in time and are flushing the steering box out with WD40 through the filler bung. -

You also have, in Australia, Sota Tractors who specialize in Kubota Gray Market Tractors. - www.sotatractors.com/
Johnarm ....

Link:   

Click Here

View my Photos
hejharold

2009-05-20          162869

Simon,
The steering box bearing is NSK #15BSW02 and is available through KAMAN Bearing Co. NSK also make the nut & shaft.
You are right about the bicycle bearing. If your outer bearing race and the shaft(inner race)are reasonably smooth, the bicycle cage and rollers will work. Use a bearing from a bike shop that has 8-(0.219"diameter) balls
with an inside diameter of 5/8 inch. Take the outer race and shaft with you to the bike shop. i do this while waiting for Kaman delivery. Bike shop $2.00 US!!!!! ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login