Go Bottom

L3400 dual clutch adjustment

View my Photos
ex-IT-boy
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2008-07-01          155008

I was doing my first 50 hour maintenance on my L3400. I did everything but the clutch adjustment. The manual (which seems to have pictures of everything but this) says "remove the cover located on the right side of flywheel housing case."

Can someone give me better directions (or a photo)? I can't find the cover they are talking about to make this adjustment

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-07-01          155009

I apologize in advance if this is a stupid question for I don't know what your level of knowledge is. I also know nothing about your tractor but am trying to help here.

Do you know where the flywheel is? It's at the rear of the engine between the bell housing and the engine. By 'flywheel case' they are probably talking about the bell housing.

But I've been wrong before.

BTW, your name says nothing but good things about you :) ....

View my Photos
ex-IT-boy

2008-07-01          155010

Lets say my knowledge of tractors is limited to 50 hours... but I do have 20 something years of experience breaking British cars. :)

From my limited (half-guessing) knowledge, I would have thought the bell housing was right behind the engine... but it looks to me like the transmission and diff are sort of one on this tractor... maybe with some amount of shaft between the engine and tranny/diff. So I am looking on what I am calling the trans/diff thingie.

I also looked on the backside of the engine... If it is there, it must be behind the FEL mounts. ....

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-07-02          155015

I'd suggest a dealer look at it if it only has fifty hours. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2008-07-02          155016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art White | view 155015
I'd suggest a dealer look at it if it only has fifty hours.

Ah, but that wouldn't be any fun and he wouldn't have learned anything. But Art's suggestion does bring up the point that a friendly dealer might let you look at (or even print out) the parts diagram for that area.

View my Photos
ex-IT-boy

2008-07-02          155017

Oh I guarantee he would help. One of the nicest, crustiest old farts I have met. I was just looking for the easiest way out.

I actually asked him when I bought it if it needed to go in for the 50 hour checkup... and he basically said something like "any idiot with a wrench and half a brain can handle it."

View my Photos
ex-IT-boy

2008-07-02          155019

this also gives me a followup question. Does anyone make an equivalent to Haynes/Chilton/Bentley Manuals for various makes/models of tractors?

View my Photos
ex-IT-boy

2008-07-02          155034

I think I found it. It appears to be terminally behind the FEL. It looks like it would require not just removal at the FEL quick disconnect point, but removal of the entire right attachment of the FEL.

Its not a Kubota brand FEL, which makes me wonder if everyone has this problem or if it is my fault for buying a different brand FEL. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2008-07-02          155038

It's not unusual for FEL mounts to get in the way of stuff, factory or not. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2008-07-03          155051

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwschumm | view 155016
Ah, but that wouldn't be any fun and he wouldn't have learned anything. But Art's suggestion does bring up the point that a friendly dealer might let you look at (or even print out) the parts diagram for that area.

As a dealer we help people all the time with the information they need to keep our tractors health up. We often will walk the customer through the adjustments as well as operation hints for longer life.
At fifty hours The clutch should not be a problem although I've reservations with saying that as I've seen people that can take them out in the 400 to 500 hour range from riding the clutch.
Servicing is often hindered with after-market attachments.
The two stage clutches can be a royal PIA when worn. They have to adjust both at the same time to work properly and some times the wear is unequal requiring special machining to equal the pressure plates. I haven't seen the 3400 apart to know the base style but for those we had head aches with thirty years ago we did learn a lot.

View my Photos
ex-IT-boy

2008-07-03          155054

I actually dont have any problems with my clutch... I was just trying to follow the checklist for the 50 hour. Once I've finally located the darn thing, I think I can handle it... but I may not be doing it quite as often as prescribed since it looks to be a little bit of a PITA. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2008-07-07          155153

They are not the latest system but they have been a good system for years. I will repeat, they can be tough to keep syncronized if the wrong adjustments are made! ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login