Go Bottom

Kubota 1850 or 2350 Reverse gear

View my Photos
ldgray
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2008-07-24          155614

I recently test drove a BX 1850 Kubota and was alarmed by the way the hydrostatic transmission operates in reverse. When taking one's foot off the reverse pedal, the tractor lurches to a stop - almost giving this operator a whip lash injury! Totally incredible compared to the JD 2305 or the new Cub Cadet diesel compact tractor w/FEL - the competitors to the Kubota said it has to do with lack of "dampening" on the Kubota. Any body have any comments on this subject? So far it looks like this is a "deal breaker" for me in regards to the Kubota - despite the attractive price quote of $11,400 for the BX1850 with 54in.mower and FEL.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
JOHNWTHOMAS

2008-07-25          155621

My new BX2350 does do this. I had a gas Kubota mower and it also did it but it did/does it when I was/am trying to hurry and did the quick forward and reverse movements. The last time I mowed with my BX I tried being a little more careful with my reverse foot action and it was some smoother. I'm not saying it was easy to do. My BX1500 and my former BX2200 were not as quick to react as the current BX. With practice and a bit of attention it can be manageable. ....

View my Photos
ldgray

2008-07-25          155625

thanks for the reply. I still think it is going to be a deal breaker for me. I mow a lot of up and down hills which cannot be mowed laterally w/o danger of rolling the machine. I hate to have to pay the extra $2K+ more for the Deere, but at least they have a very smooth transition (dampening) from reverse to neutral. I called the dealer and asked if there was a retro fit that could be made. He has yet to get back to me.
Even the new Yanmar diesel/Cub Cadet 24hp subcompact mower is very smooth. The latter machine is waaaay too expensive for inferior quality. ....

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-08-04          155801

I don't use the Kubota reverse petal all the time. I wouldn't want to work the petals bare footed for long the way I do but normally I just rotate my foot to the right drop it a bit and pull up from the bottom of the forward petal. Works great for a typical loader operation but might be harder for longer applications in reverse. ....

View my Photos
ldgray

2008-08-04          155802

Thanks for your input on Kubota's reverse. Dealer said he has never been asked about the extreme whip-lash stopping of the Kubota while in reverse. I find that very hard to believe. He said it is a safety feature? ???
Anyway, it is a moot point, because I sprung for a JD 2305 with 64 hours on it, FEL, Independent deck lift, Absolutely like new. Got it for about the same as a new Kubota. Very, very, smooth operation with dampening between forward, reverse, and to neutral.
Happy in Minnesota. :-) ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login