Go Bottom

B7800 HST casting cracked

View my Photos
kriam1
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2008-09-06          156515

has any one had any issues with the casting on the HST fuid reservoir cracking?

2003 B7800. with loader and back hoe. 453 hours. Used to clear some space (light stumping), minor grading, snow plowing on 1200 ft gravel driveway in winter), and earth material movement.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
hardwood

2008-09-08          156528

kriam; When you say casting ON the HST reservior cracking do you mean the rear housing of the tractor or another componet? What impliment were you using when this happened? ....

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-09-08          156530

Also noticed you listed a backhoe on your equipment list.

Is it a Kubota hoe or after market? ....

View my Photos
kriam1

2008-09-09          156544

Thanks for the response.

It is the reservoir ( square top) immediately under the seat and above the filters ( forward of the rear axle).

I am not sure what was happening when the crack began as I also had a leak from a faulty o-ring on the 3 pt hitch locking valve (also under the seat). When I replaced the o-ring , I assumed (silly me) that I had corrected the cause of the hyd fluid leak.

Of course the leak and crack became apparent 1 month after the 5 yr drive train warrantee expired.

The hoe is a Kubota BL 4690B purchased with the tractor.

I have talked with several people on different fixes, short of replacing the HST completely. I ran across this forum and thought I would see if there are other alternatives. ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2008-09-09          156545

Depending on where the crack is, what critical alignment internal parts may be involved, and just the ability to get to where the crack is with a welding rod, castings can be welded. Depending on what the casting is made from cast iron is easier to most welders than aluminum altho both can be welded. I've welded engine blocks, gear bolxes, etc., as long as they were cast iron, aluminum I'm not very good at. Frank. ....

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-09-09          156547

I've only ever heard of a handful of Kubota's that cracked this way, in EVERY case the unit was fitted with a backhoe that was 3pth and not sub-frame mounted.

I've heard (and seen) other brands that have had more failures and it may be related to thickness of castings etc., but still, in every case there was a backhoe involved.

From my experience Kubota has always been more than generous with it's warranty program and has in many instances made a "goodwill" repair when a major component failed just out of warranty. In other cases they have met the customer part way, maybe giving free parts, but the customer pays labour or something like that.

I would speak to the dealer and Kubota themselves about it, if it was not what they felt was abuse I'm sure they will be willing to do something about it.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
cutter

2008-09-09          156562

If memory serves me correctly, there was an upper link bracket that should have been changed with the addition of a backhoe and not doing that was suspect in causing failures in the past. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login