Go Bottom

2007 BX24 questions

View my Photos
JRinWV
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2008-09-13          156628

Hi:

I'm interested in getting a machine for light-duty construction around the farm. New septic installation, road maintenance, trenching, tilling, fence building tree planting, etc.

A local equipment dealer has a 2007 BX24 with a loader, hoe and a belly mower, asking $13.4K. Browsing the web, this looks like a reasonable price for the tractor and attachments.

Will this machine do the things I've described?

I have a friend in heavy construction if I need to do heavy earth moving, this tool would just be for maintenance on one farm and improving the other farm up the holler.

Thanks for any guidance!

JR in WV

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

2007 BX24 questions

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-09-13          156630

That machine will do all the tasks you mentioned, but if you have a large property to maintain you might wish for something bigger to get the work done faster. How large is the area you need to till? Will you need to do field mowing? If so, how big are the fields? ....

2007 BX24 questions

View my Photos
JRinWV
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2008-09-13          156631

Hi:

Around here in West Virginia it's all hillsides covered with oak and hickory woods. We have a couple of acres of long skinny fields between the road and the hill, and a couple more on top. I'm not much for acres of smooth grass, so that;s a good thing!

We've lived in a little cove hollow with oak trees right up to the house for 15 years. But now I've built a shop/garage and need to backfill that and gravel the road around it. I've used the hillside to build a road around to the back and access the upstairs garage door, and that will need gravel spread on it.

Since we're in a forest, I'm thinking about building a fence to keep the deer out and planting orchards of fruit and nut trees, this will keep me out of trouble when I retire next winter.

But there's no real fields like actual farms have, we just have acres of forest to live in. I'm not complaining, I love the hills and woods. We've got 90 acres we live on and one farm away (like half a mile or so) there's 110 more acres, with pretty good timber on it.

We're none of us interested in really timbering it, but cutting a few each year for the neighborhood sawmill, and using that to build furniture or cabinets with would be another thing to keep me out of trouble.

I have lots of hobbies, but working 50+ hours a week has kept me pretty busy for many years. I plan to indulge in all of them once I'm not leaving for work at 8 am every day and getting home at 6 or 7 pm!

We also bought 10 acres of bare desert in SE Arizona a couple of years ago, and I'm planning to learn to work adobe and build a winter camp out there, so I have lots of projects to look forward to. I am a little tired of the winter mud season!

Thanks,
JR

2007 BX24 questions

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-09-16          156694

If your property is lumpy/rocky the BX will be a rough ride due to the small tires.

Other than that, the BX is a very capable machine. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login