Go Bottom

L3010 won t charge the battery

View my Photos
Paladin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2008-09-16          156685

As background, I bought this tractor used in 2005 with 300 hours on it and I only put on maybe 35 hours/year. It's at 410 now.

I replaced the battery when I bought the tractor and all seemed well. This past winter I had to keep going to the trickle charger and I finally broke down and replaced the battery in April, 2008. I am still having problems and I have come to the conclusion thet i have a tractor problem, not a battery problem.

I never see any idiot lights come on that would tip me off that the tractor is not charging. What i have figured out, though, is that I get a dozen or more starts after a trickle charge then the battery goes flat. On Saturday I worked the tractor and FEL hard all morning and then broke for lunch. When I tried to fire her up - flat battery. There had been no charging going on by the tractor itself all morning.

Is there anything that I can check myself or am I looking at loading up and trailering to the Kubota dealer?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
auerbach
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-09-16          156687

Do you know how to check for the two possibilities: it isn't charging (due to a bad voltage regulator or generator), or there's a short that's discharging it?

You could, while learning how to troubleshoot, continue operating if you get a battery cutoff (couple bucks, auto supply store) and keep the battery off and the ignition off except when starting. (It will run with the key off.) Put the charger on after about every 10 starts. ....

View my Photos
candoarms
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-09-16          156693

Paladin,

First check your belt tension, battery terminals, battery cable connections at both ends, ground connection to the frame of the tractor, and the electrical connections at the alternator.

When you're sure that all of your electrical connections are clean and tight, place a voltmeter on the battery while the tractor is running. You should have about 13 volts showing. Now check the battery voltage with the tractor shut down. You should have about 11.5 to 12vdc. If your meter shows that you have more than 12 volts, when the tractor is running, your alternator is charging properly.

I'm guessing that you probably have a wire somewhere that has rubbed through, (shorted to the tractor's frame) causing your battery to go dead. Your ignition switch could also be bad.

To check this, make sure all of your switches are in the off position, then disconnect the hot wire from the battery. Place an ohm meter between the red (hot) battery wire and tractor ground. Your meter should show infinite resistance, or the same has having your meter leads apart.

If your meter shows anything else, you have a wire in your tractor that is making contact with the frame. (a short) If you get a normal (open reading) on your first test, you might want to place your ignition switch in the "on" position as you take a second reading.

Hope this helps.

Joel ....

View my Photos
Paladin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2008-09-16          156698

Thanks, Joel

I'm not totally new to this since I own a couple of Ford N tractors that I maintain myself (can't have too many tractors). I should be able to follow your advice with no problem. I'm just not used to dealing with an alternator with a built in voltage regulator such as the 'bota has. Plus, the 'bota has been trouble free until now. I'll try to track the gremlin down before I give up.

Bob in PA ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login