Go Bottom

L275 front driveshaft

View my Photos
stupeg
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2008-11-08          157741

Can you use the front driveshaft to power a hydraulic pump? It has 18 splines on it and appears to be .975 inches in diameter. Does anyone know where to buy a pto shaft for this, or is the shaft for something else? I would like to run a log splitter Hyd. pump at a higher rpm than the rear pto can attain.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

L275 front driveshaft

View my Photos
hardwood

2008-11-08          157742

Check the Surplus Center website. They have all of that sort of thing. If your tractor's rear PTO is a standard six spline 540 RPM shaft, they have a pump that will slip right over the rear shaft. Call them during business hours and they will advise you on what you need for pump size, etc. I've ordered lots of this type thing from them and always had good sevice. Frank. ....

L275 front driveshaft

View my Photos
stupeg

2008-11-08          157743

I have a pto pump already, it was free, I can use it on the back but it needs to spin faster than 540 rpm. thats why I wanted to use the front shaft, just need a 18 tooth spline adapter. ....

L275 front driveshaft

View my Photos
hardwood

2008-11-08          157744

If your shaft spins in the correct direction for the pump and all you need is the shaft I'd start at a machine shop, They have a stack of catalogs with all that sort of thing. I think that is the same size shaft and spline count that Deere uses on their bigger midmount mowers. Frank. ....

L275 front driveshaft

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-11-08          157746

Frank is right-on. I would add that you might find a splined adapter or one that works at Tractor Supply. There you might find a weldable sprocket hub, one-piece sprocket, or even a PTO yoke that would work (they're mild steel and easily cut and welded). And if you're solid-mounting the pump, you might want to consider a double-roller chain-type flexible alignment connector, which TSC sells all the materials to make (using 2 weldable sprocket hubs, or 2 one-piece sprockets and a piece of chain to join them). (I don't recommend it but if you find a smooth-bore sprocket hub rom TSC that fits snugly over the pump shaft or the PTO-side you can weld the shaft to the hub. I had to do this on a manlift drive system and it has lasted 2 years now under extreme use. And the nice thing about the roller chain connector is they are very forgiving in all axis especially if the hubs are have some run out in x or y axis. Be sure to keep it lubed as poor alignment/horsepower/speed will develop heat.

BTW, I like this idea. I made a similar system to run off the rear PTO but didn't consider the front. Mine drives a hydraulic motor. ....

L275 front driveshaft

View my Photos
stupeg

2008-11-08          157748

Thats exatly what my pump came with, a 3/4" spline X 1&3/8 X 6 spline adapter with a roller chain in the middle. The problem is the pump is rated at 36 gallons per minute at 2000 rpm; 1500 # of pressure. My rear pto speed even over reving the L275 (27.5 HP. ? ) to 600 rpm would produce close to 11 GPM. of fluid flow, now I would need a HYD. tank larger than 5 gal. resivoir. If I used the front shaft, 18 spline X .975" diameter I could run the tractor at a lower rpm because it's coming off the engine crankshaft rpm, which is higher.
I looked at Tractor Supply but didn't see any 18 tooth spline adapters; If anyone has a link to a site that would be great. I can't believe someone hasent tried to use the front shaft for another use already... ....

L275 front driveshaft

View my Photos
hardwood

2008-11-08          157749

Stupeg; What are you going to operate with the pump when you get it mounted? A few years ago I did as you are planning with a thirty some GPM pump on farm tractor thinking the bigger the better, WRONG, it turned out that even at a half throttle setting I had way more fluid flow and pressure than I could use for anything. At full throttle the intake on the pump wasn't big enough to let enough fluid into the pump without cavatating. If I was near the shop right now I could go out and look at a very similar setup and drive system I going to mount under my 4310 Deere. I think the mid PTO under the tractor is the same size as yours, it runs about 2100 RPM. I'm using a driveshaft from a midmount mower with a "U" joint on the PTO shaft and another on the pump with about a ten inch shaft between. Again I would have to look at the pump I'm going to use, but I think it is more like a twelve or fourteen GPM @ 1800 RPM. If the pump you have is in top shape I'd sure try it on the 540 before I did all the other mounting, you've already got the whole setup so might as well try it as it is first. Frank. ....

L275 front driveshaft

View my Photos
stupeg

2008-11-08          157750

I'm going to run a log splitter; 4 inch X 24 inch stroke/ 2 " ram. I'm still just pondering my options; My kubota tool circuit is only putting out 800 LBS. of pressure. it lifts implements fine and holds them up for days on end but when I plumb a Guage in line when the splitter hits a big log the pressure reads 800 LBS, otherwise it splits anything under 14" diameter. I guess my HYD. pump on the Kubota is going bsd. I screwed in a set screw under the driver seat in what appears to be the hyd. output circuit but it didn't help. Kubota doesn't sell a rebuild kit for the pump that I can find and a new pump would cost $420, hence my search for a cheap alternative. ....

L275 front driveshaft

View my Photos
stupeg

2008-11-08          157751

I'm going to run a log splitter; 4 inch X 24 inch stroke/ 2 " ram. I'm still just pondering my options; My kubota tool circuit is only putting out 800 LBS. of pressure. it lifts implements fine and holds them up for days on end but when I plumb a Guage in line when the splitter hits a big log the pressure reads 800 LBS, otherwise it splits anything under 14" diameter. I guess my HYD. pump on the Kubota is going bsd. I screwed in a set screw under the driver seat in what appears to be the hyd. output circuit but it didn't help. Kubota doesn't sell a rebuild kit for the pump that I can find and a new pump would cost $420, hence my search for a cheap alternative. ....

L275 front driveshaft

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-11-09          157752

Stu: What GPM is your control valve rated for? 32 is fairly high for a wood splitter. You could run into valve cavitation and/or excessive heat buildup. And conversely 1500 PSI is rather low especially when you consider wear (if it's used) and it will drop even more in real-world use, then add the potential valve restriction.

Have you seen or used the wood splitting cone called The Stickler? I have adapted one to use on my hydraulic auger head for the skid steer. And I'm working on one that sort resembles one currently on the market tht runs off the rear PTO. (see picture) ....

Picture Link

L275 front driveshaft

View my Photos
hardwood

2008-11-09          157755

Stupeg; A 4 X 24 cylinder with a 2 in. shaft will take about seven seconds to extend and about five to retract using your 11 GPM pump on the rear shaft. If you run your tractor at half throttle on the front shaft might give you 18 - 20 GPM you would take those times to about half, at full throttle it would become pretty wild and pretty unsafe. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login