Go Bottom

Tire Pressure Check in B7510

View my Photos
roaf3x
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2008-11-28          158192

Gentlemen;

Is there any secret to checking the tire pressure on my B7510. It is loaded in the rear only with rim guard. My concern was opening the valve stem and leaking the Rim Guard?

Thanks to all who reply.

Cheers,

RD

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-11-28          158194

RD, there's no secret.

The tires are only filled to the 75% level, all you have to do is make sure the valve is at the very top (12 o'clock position) of the tire.

For safety's sake you may want to give the tire a short blast of air in the valve first just to clear any Rim Guard away before it gets into your gauge.

Generally speaking however, a gauge is of little use on a tractor tire. It will only tell you what the pressure is at, what you want is the correct pressure, and that's not a number, it's a position.

You want the entire tread to JUST sit flat on the ground. Too much air and the shoulders will lift up, and too much air will cause the center to lift up.

In my experience, the best way to do this is to sit the tractor on a flat level surface and add air till the shoulder just starts to come up, then let some air back out till it just touches again.

Gravity, about as dependable a tool as you will ever find!! LOL

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
roaf3x

2008-12-01          158243

Thanks for the information. It is always better to ask first then to wonder why later.

Tread position vs actual pressure is also an interesting discussion.

Thanks

RD ....

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-12-01          158249

Unlike a passenger vehicle, or load carrying truck or trailer, the whole object of a tractor tire is to develop the maximum traction possible in a given situation.

That is especially true of winter operations where the one big factor of tire tread engaging the soil is off the list due to frozen ground.

If you have less than the full tread of the tire engaging the ground, you have less than full traction also. That is the main reason why turf tires actually give you better grip in the winter (on hard surfaces) than any other tractor tire.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2008-12-01          158250

Just to piggyback what Murf said, the adage "If a little is good, less (pressure) is better" doesn't apply here. Cold, stiff rubber may falsely give you the impression you need to needlessly lower the pressure.

I have stiff-walled rear tires on my CUT which were originally designed to be used on front loaders 5-6 times it's weight. The fronts are actually skid steer tires designed to carry 4-5 times the weight. That said, a nearly air-depleted tire can be mistaken for a looks-good-to-me tire inflation---until it pops off the rim.

The tires' pressure will drop as ambient temps drop and increase as they raise. If you're using a FEL and you have lowered the pressure to gain surface area, be careful especially when turning under load as you can peel the tire off the rim without notice. And lowered-pressured tires in general are susceptible to what I call "burping" and comimg off the rim if they run over a log, curb, or frozen ground just right.

I found I can run lower pressures and not have to worry burping tires simply by using inner tubes. Ag tires do not have "safety beads" like car and light truck tires have that keep the tire on the rim should it deflate.

Also, to the take lowered-air pressure theme one step further, you have to be aware of the 4x4 drive system (if equipped) as the rolling circumference and more importantly the rolling diameter (measured ONLY from the ground to the center of the axle) the has to be porportionate in reduction to suit the front wheels---otherwise that would be like putting different size tires on the front or back and could result in driveline bind, wear or worse. ....

View my Photos
charlieK

2008-12-01          158269

foam fill 'em and never worry 'bout the air pressure again ....

View my Photos
Murf

2008-12-02          158276

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieK | view 158269
foam fill 'em and never worry 'bout the air pressure again

True, but you'll spend a LOT of money doing so (and even more again if you ever have to replace a tire), and LOSE all ability to adjust the pressure and therefore how the tire contacts the earth.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2008-12-02          158277

Have never see a tire that was filled with foam I am aware of. How is the ride? How does it handle such as a raised place to ride over it? Is it able to flex over such as plowed ground or does it just hold it's shape regardless of the countour of the ground?

For filled ag tires I totally agree with Murf, for my not filled stiff wall (R-4?) on my Compact tractor, better use an air gauge. EW hit it, stiff walls and the tire did not show being low and yes hit a bank of dirt just right and off it came.

View my Photos
earthwrks

2008-12-02          158282

I'm sure the other poster said the foam-filled thing tongue-in-cheek (Kenny that means he was joking). There are a few types of foam filling--some so-called "soft fill" but generally they're intended for heavy equipment that sees a high rate of puncturing. They offer little give or flex. Cost is another issue. Here, a 12x16.5 skid steer tire which is about the same size of a really wide 4x4 truck mud tire is about $450 just for the fill--EACH. Then there's the added weight. For my skid steer it would have added about 1,200-1,400 lb. of unnecessary weight, which negates any floatation that you would have had to start with. Also, there's added taxing of the drive and brake systems to propll and stop the added rotating and curb weight. And then there's the life span of the tire istwelf. On skid steers we're lucky to get 250 hours out of a set of new tires. I realize CUTs and Ag's in general can go a decade or more without changing tires, but once you tear one up, it has to be cut from the rim (if you're salvaging the rim) with a reciprocating saw which can day in itself per tire. ....

View my Photos
r1bourg

2008-12-23          158837

I ran a diesel Polaris 4*4 quad in an underground mine. Got many flats. Filled the tires with foam and no flats. Ride was stiffer but you get used to it over time. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login