Go Bottom

Tractor Hours

View my Photos
jimbo020
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2008-12-18          158658

Just wondering what is considered HIGH or LOW hours for my machine. I have a 1991 F-2400 with 2900 hours.
Would this be considered high hours or low...?
I am at an elementary school so all my ground equipment comes as hand-me-downs from the larger campuses.
Just wondering where I stand with my Kubota, if it would be considered OLD or in need of replacement. I need to provide some info for my district on this issue. It runs and works fine, I just am curious as to how long we can expect to keep it in service. Thanks !

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Tractor Hours

View my Photos
candoarms
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-12-18          158660

Jimbo020,

I don't know how many hours you put on your machine each year, but at the current rate of about 170 hours per year, your machine should be good for at least 10 more years.

2900 hours is not considered to be high hours for your machine. It's about in the middle of the range. Low hours usually apply to home-owned machines. High hours usually apply to commercial machines. Yours is on the lower end of the scale, though a bit too high to be considered "low hours".

I hope that helps.

Joel ....

Tractor Hours

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-12-18          158664

My dealer tells me that 600 hours per year is the "industry standard" according the book he showed me on trade-in values. Seeing as the tractor is about 18 years old and using the book value, that would mean about 10,800 hours. However, most diesels of this type are generally expected to last about 5,000 before a major rebuild--some more some less depending on how it was or was not maintained and under what conditions. A typical engine ovrhaul; can run $5,000-8,000.

And it's not just the engine that could require an overhaul, there is everythingelse mechanical or electrical that could need major service too. My rule of thumb is when it gets high hours or major things are going or ready to go, it's time to off it. Otherwise, you'll have an expensive (or cheap depending how you look at it) doorstop.

I have seen machines have 10,000 hours on them and run fine; some, not so much. If your tractor had closer to 5,000 hours on it and being 18 years old, I think I'd be filling out a new requisition form in a year or so. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login