Go Bottom

L185DT manual transmission gear problem

View my Photos
drakegreer
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2009-01-31          159976

I have a Kubota L185DT tractor, 4WD, with 1475 hours on it. Last week, when I was putting it in reverse, something was locked up, and when I let clutch out, tractor stalled. Moving to neutral and then reverse again then worked ok.It happened occasionally as I used it. Yesterday, something happened, and now I can not shift into any gears, but gearshift in neutral position, is actually in 4th gear. I was able to drive tractor in low range in this 4th gear, but nothing else.The only other position I can shift to is reverse, but it is jammed and stalls the tractor as before. I spoke to mechanic at local Kubota dealership, and he has not worked on that model in his 20 years, and I think it was not sold there , since it is likely 25 or 27 years old, bought by my father at Fort Equipment ( Kubota dealer) ,Amherst, Nova Scotia, Canada,165 miles away.Tractor now has 1475 hours on it.
If anyone might know what the problem may be, and/or if it can be dealt with from the top, under gearshift or if it is a major job of removing transmission (engine etc), I would appreciate knowing. I do not really want to bring it to the dealer at $75 per hour, if they will need to learn about it, as they go, but had it loaded on trailer to go, when I found the mechanic had not worked on that transmission before.Thank you for any information you can send me,as I would like to get it going again soon, since last year was a 116 year snowfall record here, and this year looks like it might come close, so, a big yard to clear. justmejim

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
candoarms
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-01-31          159978

Drakegreer,

Manual transmissions are fairly simple to work on. There's an input shaft that it is driven by the tractor's engine, and a counter shaft that is driven by the gear selected. There are usually three forks that operate the sliding gears.

Since your tractor locked up on you once, I know for sure that at least one of your shifter forks isn't functioning properly. If you have two gears selected at the same time, the transmission simply can't turn. This will kill the tractor's engine.

You should be able to find the problem by simply removing the transmission's top cover. Make sure you keep track of the bolts as you remove them. The bolts may not be the same length all the way around the top cover.

Joel ....

View my Photos
drakegreer
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2009-02-01          160027

Thank You Thank you Joel. I hope it is accessible from top, and I will look tomorrow.?? I just found out that my daughter's mother in Law"s husband, owns a Kubota, and from the same dealer as my father bought the one I now have, so, I hope he will be able to ask a mechanic there ( 10 minutes drive from his house) what to expect, and likely problem and part availability. I will re post when all is done, in case helpful in future to someone else. If anyone else has more specific comments, I am interested in hearing any and all, as every bit helps when searching for a problem and beginning repair, and especially from someone who has already done the repair. It is a nice thing when people help each other like this, sharing knowledge. justmejim ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login