Go Bottom

Addition Gauges

View my Photos
duke8444
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2009-08-12          164869

I have a L2850 and as a winter project, I am thinking about adding some real gauges to the tractor. My easy checker is working fine, but I still want to add gauges to the tractor. I plan on an oil pressure gauge and a voltage gauge at the very least, I may add others. There is no place really to add the gauges, so I will probably build or find a panel to add to the tractor.

Does anyone know what this L2850 should read as far as oil pressure? Also do you guys have any recommendations for the gauges themselves? I was thinking of using boat gauges just because they are ment to be in the weather outside.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Addition Gauges

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-08-12          164877

I dunno, I realize it's a matter of personal preference, but to me adding non-factory gauges leaves Pandora's box open to even more issues than just monitoring vitals. There's the issue of calibration--are they reading right? Spec issues, like you know already. And then there's making sure the additional electrical and possibly oil lines are not leaking. After it's all said and done it just doesn't seem like a worthwhile thing IMHO. Now I do have to say my construction equipmemt has chimes and warning lights for the vitals which leaves for doing work intended instead of worrying about them. My CUT has factory guages and that's enough for me. ....

Addition Gauges

View my Photos
auerbach
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-08-12          164879

I installed a set when I got mine new three decades ago. The oil saved my engine once, when there was an unknown oil leak (serves me right for installing a too-long filter that got punctured) and I noticed the pressure falling. And I always monitor it at startup, when a failure is most likely. But the connections are prone to leaking. As for the battery and temp, real interesting for the first week, then you stop checking them because they always read the same. ....

Addition Gauges

View my Photos
Murf

2009-08-13          164906

I agree with the issues of accuracy, but some reading is better than none I suppose.

There are some nice little digital multi-function gauges out there now that will give you your choice of any 4 of 8 or 10 optional reads. They can even be programmed to flip to a certain function if the reading exceeds set limits, either high or low, and other wise will scroll through the 4 the rest of the time. Mot of them are only about 1.5-2" x 3-4" and can be surface mounted with double stick tape.

They are commonly used in small homebuilt aircraft and aren't much money.

Best of luck. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login