Go Bottom

L2900DT Hydraulic leak

View my Photos
ddudeck
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2010-03-01          168890

I have a L2900DT-GST (4wd) and while plowing snow a couple of weeks ago I noticed hydraulic fluid dripping from the bottom of engine, front drive shaft cover and clutch housing drain port (split pin?). The only symptoms were the power steering seemed sloppy. I parked the tractor and put a pan under it to catch the hydraulic fluid. At least 3 gal of fluid was in the pan before stopped dripping.
I've added more fluid but it keeps just dripping out.
I have also tried to locate the leak but can't find its source. I've looked at the power steering lines and they are not the source.
As I have already said, the hydro fluid is leaking from the split pin, the engine oil pan and the front drive shaft cover.
Where else should I be looking? Is it possible for the hydraulic fluid to leak from inside the clutch housing?
If anyone has an idea what is wrong and knows the fix please post details.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
ddudeck

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

L2900DT Hydraulic leak

View my Photos
mchmj1

2010-03-09          169054

Not sure what the split pin is, but I have the same exact tractor and hydraulic fluid is coming from the right rear axle area. Haven't isolated the location either. Maybe a seal at the end of the housing or some of the large bolts that screw into the housing from the bottom. I see fluid on the inside of the rim. Probably need to pressure wash it and put some something down to see if I have more that one leak and can pinpoint it. ....

L2900DT Hydraulic leak

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-03-09          169062

ddudeck, your front seal on the transmission is leaking, get t fixed before it soaks the clutch, or you'll be replacing that too.

mchmj1, yes, it's your outboard axle seal that is leaking.

Best of luck. ....

L2900DT Hydraulic leak

View my Photos
mchmj1

2010-03-09          169067

Thanks Murf, any tips on that task? Initial thought is I'll have to pull something to remove some type of lock before I can pull that axle to R&R the seal. ....

L2900DT Hydraulic leak

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-03-09          169068

It's been a long time but from memory, the axle has to be disconnected inside the diff. case to free it to come out. I can't remember though on those smaller units if it can be done through an access port or not.

Hopefully Art or Kevin will pop their head in and give us a Orange dealers point of view on it.

Best of luck. ....

L2900DT Hydraulic leak

View my Photos
mchmj1

2010-03-09          169074

Good, I'd like to hear their comments! ....

L2900DT Hydraulic leak

View my Photos
ddudeck

2010-03-10          169078

Thanks MURF for the info.
This sounds like a dealer repair. I've done some looking thru the Parts/Assembly catalog and it looks like the seals are pretty deep in the case.

In order to get the tractor as bare as possible I plan on removeing the front end loader and mounting bracket and removing the mounting plate for the belly mower myself.

Any rough ideas/estimates of what this repair should cost? ....

L2900DT Hydraulic leak

View my Photos
lucnoel

2010-03-10          169104

I believe that your problem is with an oring on the prop shaft that has backed-up
There is a service bulletin to adress this issue( PSB-1998-012) and a kit (TA040-98001) to fix it.
Basically you remove the bolt joining the pro shaft cover, remove the shaft by sliding the cover front then rear and removing the pins from the shaft couplers and the kit consist of an instruction sheet, 2 orings and a spacer that slide on the shaft and stop the oring from backing up.
On your tractor this spacer was factory install starting at serial # 61866 so if your tractor is below that it's almost sure that it is your issue.

L2900DT Hydraulic leak

View my Photos
mchmj1

2010-03-11          169120

Wow, that's some good info. Is there anything you can share with me on the rear axle seal R&R? I ordered a cd with a parts breakdown, but as I suspected it has so many different models that none are in very much detail. ....

L2900DT Hydraulic leak

View my Photos
ddudeck

2010-03-11          169121

Hey MCHMG1 go to Messicks web site I think you can request the parts catalog from them for free. You'll need to provide the modle of your tractor and they will send you the proper catalog that will have detailed cut sheets. If you spend some time looking closely at the cut sheets you will get an idea of how to dissassemble and fix.

L2900DT Hydraulic leak

View my Photos
Murf

2010-03-11          169124

ddudeck, before you get too excited, check your machines serial number, if it's higher than 61866 then you already have the mod. in your unit from the factory, if not, it should be covered.

Best of luck. ....

L2900DT Hydraulic leak

View my Photos
mchmj1

2010-03-11          169132

Thanks ddudeck, I just spent $20 to get the same info on ebay and there it was for free. Jerk must have copied 'em all and hosed a bunch! ....

L2900DT Hydraulic leak

View my Photos
ddudeck

2010-03-17          169300

A thousand thanks to Lucnoel.
I confirmed my tractors serial numbers fit the service bulleten and ordered the part. Spent aprox $120 in parts and fluids and fixed the leak over the weekend. I've run the tractor and appears to be fine. Hope it holds!

Saved $1,800 to $2,700 quoted by the 3 nearest Kubota shops.

Thanks Lucnoel for the excellent info. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login