Go Bottom

hyd oil

View my Photos
8x56mn
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2010-03-19          169354

I have a B2150 gear shift tranny. Last night I was routinely checking fluids and I noticed the hyd. Level was full, but looked a little dark and had a very slight odor, not burned just an odor. The tractor has 1900 hours and to be honest I don’t remember when the fluid was changed last, perhaps five years ago when I had a FEL installed. I plan on calling the local dealer to come and pick it up and do a complete fluid and filter change. Should I be concerned with the discoloration of the oil?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

hyd oil

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-03-19          169355

It depends on the smell--I mean is it an oil smell mixed with...antifreeze, or motor oil, or rubber, or?

My Dodge Ram Technical Bulletin I saw said the Dextron 4 it uses (only 4 quarts!) Says the trans fluid will have an off odor and change to dark. But it's not a concern. I just found this out after 7 years of ownership. ....

hyd oil

View my Photos
8x56mn

2010-03-19          169356

The smell I can't determine, kind of like dirty oil, but not strong. The color is not dark as I can still see through it, kinda of like lite maple syrupe if you will. ....

hyd oil

View my Photos
auerbach
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-03-19          169357

If it's any consolation, I change my hydraulic-transmission fluid every five years. ....

hyd oil

View my Photos
hardwood

2010-03-19          169358

Yes, I'd change it but I don't think it is a real concern.
There probably are tractors built thirty years ago that heve never had the fluid changed, I'm not saying that's right but just the way it sometimes is. ....

hyd oil

View my Photos
8x56mn

2010-03-19          169360

Thanks for the reply and advice. Let me add another piece of information. This winter while back blading snow in reverse mostly, I started to hear a kind of groaning noise coming from the rear of the tractor and I kept smelling hydraulic fluid. I looked for leaks and found nothing. I’m thinking now the two might be related. Could I be smelling fumes coming from the filler cap under the seat that could be caused from gears heating up? I have been using a spring tooth harrow type drag the last couple of days going forward only of course, but experienced no odor.Could this account for the discolered oil? Am I being paranoid? ....

hyd oil

View my Photos
kwschumm

2010-03-19          169364

My 20 year old chipper doesn't give a change interval at all for the 30 gallons of 30 weight it uses, but it does say to change the filter every xxx hours (don't remember). The oil may never have been changed and I don't feel like dealing with disposal of 30 gallons of the stuff. ....

hyd oil

View my Photos
auerbach

2010-03-19          169369

For disposing of used hyd fluid, you can spray it under vehicles as an undercoat. Or a garage might accept it. Some get used oil picked up for free or even for payment. ....

hyd oil

View my Photos
8x56mn

2010-03-19          169370

Ok, let me ask you guys another question, can I put STP in the hyd oil or will this mess it up. I'm thinking this may be a bearing problem or gears. ....

hyd oil

View my Photos
hardwood

2010-03-19          169374

I think you're getting far too worried about too many things. The groaning noise in the winter may be just pump whine from cold oil, the oil smell may be that you were in just the right place to catch the air coming from the transmission vent. I think putting STP in would be a bad move, it will just clog up the filters and screens to the pump making things worse. Try the simple things first. Change the fluid and filters, if your tractor has a screen in the sump pull it out and check for metal chips, etc, a few small flakes are normal and not a real cause for concern. For reasons unknown to me it is normal to have a fluid smell for a while after a new change of fluids. Frank. ....

hyd oil

View my Photos
hardwood

2010-03-19          169375

KW;
I know of a couple local dealerships that burn waste oil as a supplement heat source, ask around, they likely would be glad to have it. ....

hyd oil

View my Photos
kthompson

2010-03-19          169381

KW, I find a lot of uses for used oil. A 5 gallon bucket is great to place tools such as shovel or hoe to protect them from rusting. Found the best way to keep a sprayer pump from going bad was to use quick connections and when through spraying drop in a 5 gallon bucket of used oil. That oil is also great to spray or brush on to such as disk blades or scrape blades. And of course it is really good to help fuel a fire such as burning brush, stumps or such. Oh it will also help prevent wood from rotten when used for floors in trailers or such. ....

hyd oil

View my Photos
8x56mn

2010-03-22          169427

Thanks, I will call the dealer today and have him come to pick her up, change flueds and clean everything and also check for metal flakes. I hope your right and I'm just being paronoid. The wife and I went looking at tractors yesterday, the dealer only had new ones and I'm still suffering from sticker shock;) ....

hyd oil

View my Photos
Murf

2010-03-22          169429

Based on your description of the oil smell & colour, and the noise in reverse, I'd say the whole thing was sticky brakes.

If a tractor sits without being used pivot joints get sticky, more so in the winter where moisture forms ice and rust from (possibly salty) melted snow can further aggravate the problem.

I suspect your brakes were hanging just slightly.

Lube up all the exposed linkage as best you can and get it free and working smoothly.

Best of luck. ....

hyd oil

View my Photos
8x56mn

2010-03-25          169497

Update, they came and picked up my tractor yesterday. Mechanic called me to report that he drained hyd. oil and pulled the filter cartridge and found some powdered metal caught by the magnet in the filter. The oil was not burned. He drove it around before draining the oil and the noise I was hearing he thinks is coming form the metal tube covering the front drive shaft, but was planning to pull the cover where it connects to the front and check it, but wanted my permission to do that. He did not think that there was anything to worry about. I asked him to replace all fluids while he had her there. Hopefully get her back today. I had lined up two used tractors to check on Saturday, got the bank approval to purchase, but looks like I won't need to worry about that for now and hopefully have a long time before I will. I'm 62 so hope my tractor out lives me:)

Thanks to everyone for the feedback.

Go Top

Share This

Member Login