Go Bottom

Mower questions

View my Photos
Oliver
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2010-05-23          171018

I have a 7510 with a 5' RFM. I can't really mow in high gear as the tractor can start to get bogged down, especially on the hills. Low gear is too slow. It takes 2 hours, and if that were it I would just live with it. But, my parents live next door to me and have a similar sized yard. It costs them about $100 each time they have their lawn mowed. I want to start mowing their lawn, but there is too much trimming to use my tractor efficiently. So, here is my question.

I am thinking about buying a used commercial walk behind. Mostly what I am finding are 48" decks. So, my question is, given a 20% loss in cutting width, do you think I can make up for it with a faster ground speed? Also, I should mention I mow along along a few fence lines and the hills I mow, while not overly steep, definitely slow my tractor down. Lastly, I have borrowed a 54" ZTR which is not ideal for my property -- the hills, esp. when wet, caused me to lose traction.

Any thoughts would be most appreciated!

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Mower questions

View my Photos
auerbach
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-05-23          171023

Hard to believe such a nice tractor has only two speeds. But you don't have to sign up for either on a long-term contract. Bogs? Low gear. Runs easy? Shift to hi.

It's a fairly wide mower for a small tractor so keep the blades sharp and the cutting height not too low.

A commercial walk-behind is what you provide for your minimum-wage employee when you're worried if you let him sit he'd fall asleep. In my opinion. ....

Mower questions

View my Photos
hardwood

2010-05-24          171033

Oliver;
Unless you like to or need to walk I see the commercial walk behinds with the little cart that the operator stands on. That might limit the trimming abilitys unless you unhook the cart. I've never ran one but they look kinds fun.
If you are handy at all like a cousin of mine, he bought a used (very used) commercial mower for peanuts and rebuilt it himself.
Frank. ....

Mower questions

View my Photos
Oliver

2010-05-24          171039

I am definitely looking at adding the sulkie (I think that is what it is called). I just worked out a deal to bring the mower from work to my house -- that way I can see if it will increase or decrease my overall mowing time before spending any money. ....

Mower questions

View my Photos
auerbach
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-05-24          171048

It's called a sulky (originally the single-seat horse-pulled carriage, then the one-person cart pulled behind usually a race trotter). Is speed your only consideration? There's no relaxing on a stander and no comfort on a sitter.

As for speed, there are other variables but basically it's determined by the HP. To put it simply, pulling an 8' at 3 mph would take about the same time as a 4' at 6 mph. ....

Mower questions

View my Photos
Murf

2010-05-25          171079

Two points come to mind here.

First, before you look at a walk-behind mower try to see if you can pick up a commercial front deck mower like the Ferris Pro-Cut series. That unit will likely do all of it including the trimming and fast. Walking gets old real fast, especially on a few acres. Hills are also not a great idea since it is also rather dangerous. We don't let our operators on hills with walk-behinds at all.

Second, if you do get a sulky, be sure to spend the little extra for a spring loaded one. They have a spring and an extra hinge in the tongue. When the operator steps off it folds itself up against the mower to allow for easy reversing and such. When you want to use the sulky again you just push it down with one toe and the friction of meeting the ground pulls it back out flat and you step on with the other foot and you're off.

Best of luck. ....

Mower questions

View my Photos
yooperpete

2010-05-25          171081

If it were me, I'd go to Tractor Supply and buy a smaller King Kutter RFM. They sell a 48" made specially for small Kubota's and it is even painted orange. In my opinion, it don't get better than driving vs: walking(bouncing around on a sulkie). ....

Mower questions

View my Photos
DRankin

2010-05-25          171082

Before you spend a bunch of money I suggest you read the entire thread on the attached link and then find out what you have in your sump and oil pan.

If you happen to have dino-oil in the engine and regular hydraulic fluid in the transmission you could get a significant increase in power by changing to synthetic engine oil and Super UDT.

Just a thought......... but I've been there. ....

Link:   

Click Here

Mower questions

View my Photos
hardwood

2010-05-25          171088

The commercial mower my cousin bought cheap and rebuilt is a front deck rider. I don't remember what brand it is but it has a neat feature. The deck folds up hydraulicly to a vertical position for service and blade changes. I don't know if that was a part of the mower originally or knowing him he likely engeneered and built that part himself. ....

Mower questions

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2010-05-25          171091

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRankin | view 171082
....a significant increase in power by changing to synthetic engine oil and Super UDT.Just a thought......... but I've been there.

Hi Oliver,

I have a B7610 with a 5 foot mid mount mower, I absolutely cannot imagine this machine bogging down ever. The B7510 has bit less HP but not that much. Are you running it at full throttle to get the correct PTO speed? Are you mowing too short, or letting the grass grow too high between mowings. Is the rear mower geared for the output speed of your rear PTO? ....

Mower questions

View my Photos
crashey

2010-05-31          171251

Funny you should ask. I just hooked up a rear finish mower (5 ft) to my b7800 today. I've been using a 52 inch commercial walk behind for over ten years and it takes just over 2 hrs to do my main lawn and then a few more hours to do rough lawns as well. The kubota is sweet and gives me a better cut (so far) , is easier on my body, and quieter. I can't get as close with the tractor and can trim as well. Ispent a few minutes with the walk behind ( ihave a stand on sulkey) and I was happy with the results. So here are my two cents: commercial walk behinds with a sulkey are great and you can back them up somewhat. The tractor is a bit faster, can't do the steep side hills (not yet anyways), and is easier on my body. If you have both you're golden. If you have a ton of trees and shubbery go with the walk behind. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login