Go Bottom

need advice from someone with corn in the crib

View my Photos
wesleyb
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2010-09-10          173944

Hello to all! I'm new to the board. As for intros I'm just a common, hard working construction worker. I am young however. 29 yrs young!! haha! My reason for starting this message is because I like to get advice from those who have been there and done that. I grew working on a 25 hp Massey. It belongs to my dad. I like it but I think I want a little more hp in a kubota with a front end loader. I don't want anything too big bc I build house and do work in tight areas. Also, I would like something with a little age but not worn out! Hopefully stay under $10k too. Any help, advice, about year models, places to look beside ebay, etc would be much appreciated. Thanks for your time.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-09-11          173953

Welcome to TP. I trust you benefit as much as I did when I posted my first question.

The first thought would be to check with local dealerships of all brands but especially Kubota. In my area on such as you are looking for found wide price variance. In today's economy maybe more so.
Craiglist, local ad papers also have some tractors. No idea in your state but in many their Dept of Agriculture will have some form of sales papers for normally farmers use where they do FSBO. Machine Trader http://www.machinerytrader.com/ - 136k can be good source for construction equipment. I would also check with rental companies, some are still downsizing. ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2010-09-11          173960

Wes;
Yes, welcome to the board.
KT pretty well covered things, the only thing I would add is if you are dealing with an unknown seller demand some proof of ownership of the tractor.
Dealing with an established dealership is by far the safest, it would be rare to encounter a stollen tractor there plus they have access to the serial numbers of stolen tractors.
There are lots of good honest people with things for sale but compact tractors seem to be a favorite of theives and give the honest sellers a bad name.
I kind of chuckled at the title of your post about corn in the crib. I thought before I read your post that you were talking about real ear corn in a real corn crib. I'd be curious to know haw many beside me here on the board ever dealt with real ear corn in a real corn crib. Some love to talk about the good old days, but my ear corn days I'd rather forget.
Frank. ....

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-09-11          173961

Frank his title got my attention also. I think corn crib might vary by region some but in my youth we raised a few cows (less than 10) and hogs (20 to 40 normally) but we raised a few acres of corn which we worked mostly with a mule. Hand broke the corn hauling it to barn and then feeding it over the winter. Now the post here about mice...boy we had RATS then. ....

View my Photos
wesleyb

2010-09-11          173963

In southern La corn in the crib means taking advice from a respectable older person that has been there and done that! ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2010-09-11          173964

KT;
Them rats were in heaven in a crib of ear corn. Dad used to have us catch some bull snakes to turn loose in the crib, the bull snakes went in and the rats came out, real quick like. Worked better than any D-Con ever made.
Wes;
Our oldest son spent a few years at Fort Polk in your great state in the early 80's. His Mom and I used to go down for a couple weeks in the winter to visit him and sight see a bit, he loved the country there and so did we, but just couldn't get to like the Cajun food. It's probably not there anymore but we used to stop at a pecan store in Waterproof, La. to stock up on nuts.
Frank. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2010-09-11          173966

Oh those Loooosianans!

How far are you from Naw'lins?

I thought the title was reference to when a person of color refers to corn as money and crib as home. Kenny, you gots some cor' in yo crib, bro?

Or Franky, I heard yo baffrooom catch fire? Oh dats rayt you put it out b'fore it got to da crib. ....

View my Photos
auerbach

2010-09-12          173977

(I assumed it meant the same as having a bun in the oven.)

Wes, it's the implements that do all the work. They're easy to get and attach but not the loader, so better to get a rig with loader than plan to install one later. Think about what work you'll use it for, and look for a tractor with some of the attachments you'll want. ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2010-09-12          173982

KT;
Your terminoligy of "Hand Broke" some corn I'm taking to mean what we refered to as "Hand Husking" of corn. I just remember my Father hand husking corn where a team of horses pulled a wagon with real high sideboards on right side of the wagon called "Bang Boards" that the person who was hand husking, (hand picking) the corn would toss the picked ears toward the bang board then the ears fell from there into the wagon. The person,(lots of women and kids hand picked too) walked along the left side of the wagon normally picking two rows at a time, tossing the ears toward the bang board without having to aim really well they fell into the wagon.
They wore a "Husking Peg" on one hand which was a leather sort of glove with some steel pegs sticking out of it to halp pull the husks off the ears. I still have my Father's husking peg somewhere around here.
My Father used to say that it took a really fast hand picker to harvest a hundred bushels a day.
In my Father's day, (born in 1909) most boys and few girls went beyond the 8th grade in their country schools and it also was common for any school kids big enough to help to be let out for harvest help.
Today it is quite common here for combines to harvest four hoppers, some bigger than 300 bushels in an hour.
Frank. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2010-09-13          173994

Frank you are correct. We did not run that large of combine. LOL But yes walked along side of wagon telling the mule when to pull up. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login