Go Bottom

Oil volume question

View my Photos
MisterMike
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2011-11-14          181209

I can never seem to get the oil level correct after changing it on my 3540. It's almost always a quarter or a half inch above the maximum level on the dip stick. It's a real pain to drain out some of the new oil. Does this hurt anything?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Oil volume question

View my Photos
auerbach
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2011-11-14          181211

It's a pain to drain overfill, and leaving it can be harmful. Good practice to underfill and use the stick to determine when the right amount is in. Give the new oil time to settle before taking the level. ....

Oil volume question

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2011-11-16          181236

Can you use a suction pump to pull the amount you need using the dipstick tube? Just wondering how much oil does it take to have it an half inch high? That seems like a good bit. ....

Oil volume question

View my Photos
MisterMike

2011-11-17          181246

This tractor engine is really strange. I add the proper amount of oil and start it up for a minute to fill the new filter and when I check it after a minute or two of rest, the oil is at the proper level. When I check it again the next morning, the oil registers as over-filled on the dip stick.. ....

Oil volume question

View my Photos
auerbach

2011-11-18          181252

That clarifies the problem: some engine designs require a longer settling time to show the level accurately. So just go with that.

As I said, underfill, run it a minute, and check the stick -- but on that machine do the check in the morning. (Have the machine on a reasonably horizontal surface, and when inserting the stick make sure it's seated all the way down.) ....

Oil volume question

View my Photos
Justus

2011-11-18          181254

If you can, add oil to the new filter before you put it in place. You'll have to keep adding it a few times as it fills up the new filter. ....

Oil volume question

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2011-11-18          181263

I made a overfill error on a 16HP twin Generator, wow what a lot of smoke :) So overfilling is not a good thing and needs to be corrected asap! ....

Oil volume question

View my Photos
auerbach

2011-11-19          181278

Does this hurt anything? Is smoke an issue?

A common answer is that the oil will be over-pressurized and blow past seals but I don't think so.

It depends on engine design, RPMs, and the amount of overfill. You don't want fast-moving parts (in most non-overhead designs the crank lobes) whacking the elevated oil surface because (1) frothing the oil makes it less effective as a lubricant, and (2) the shock that the part was not designed for could break it. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login