Go Bottom

Kubota L3010 HST Cloudy hydraulic means what

View my Photos
mdpinh
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2014-01-21          188715

Hi
Have a 2000 HST L3010 before using it I check the site glass for hydraulic before using the tractor, it is clear
but when I run it for a while it looks cloudy not as clear when i started is that normal or is it time to change fluid.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2014-01-22          188724

To answer your question, a) yes it's normal this time of year in snow country especially, and b) yes, it's time to change the fluid.

When the machine gets warmed up any snow on it melts, then when you shut it down the wide spread between machine / fluid and the outside (frigid) air causes a lot more moisture to be drawn in as it cools back down. Any quality hyd. fluid, such as Kubotas SUDT, contains additives that help to repel water and make it settle out of the fluid. That's why your fluid looks clear after it's sat a while. Running however causes the water to be picked back up and mixed, causing the cloudy fluid see after working the machine.

We have to deal with this a lot, what we do is drain the fluid into clean 5 gallon pails and leave it to settle, then after it's separated we pump off the clean fluid on top and reuse it if it doesn't have many hours on it, just some water in it.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
hardwood
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2014-01-24          188733

Yup, it's water, Murf explained how it gets there.
Years ago I remember the the Model H and M Farmalls use m# 90 gear lube i8nthe transmissions and final drive very few people bothered to change the lube very often, some maybe never a really nasty result could happen. The final drive gears ran really close to the bottom of the gear case which was the lowest point. Finally enough water would build up between the gear case bottom and the final drive gears, then freeze into a solid chunk resulting in a cracked gear case when the tractor was first moved. I bought a junk Farmall 350 once which was basicly a souped up model H that had a triangle shaped chunk broken out right below one of the final drive gears.
You are likely a long way from something like this, but change it anyway.

Frank. ....

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2014-04-19          190124

Oils all have different tolerances of water they will hold. The milky condition is from moisture and you had better do something to cure the condition.

It is far more of a problem in the north with the temperature swings from freezing to heat then in the south. When the oil gets more moisture then it can absorb it will build up in the lower areas of the transmission, the same place the oil pick-ups are. When the water freezes it will starve the pumps when starting and cause failure of the pump and possibly more. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login