Go Bottom

Nature abhores a vacuum

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-05-09          38389

As this area has been sitting empty I thought I would add a note as it is raining out.
I purchase a set of all metal, low voltage, Malibu out door lights last year. For 50$ I got 6 lights and the timer transformer. I was impressed with the quality of the lights and the value, compared to the cheap plastic ones I had bought for another abode.
Peters

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Nature abhores a vacuum

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-05-10          38436

That explains it. I'm going against nature. That's why the filter on my shop vac plugs up every five minutes. If I don't keep the filter clean it won't suck up the lizards that get in the house when I leave the door open. Holding nature at bay can be a full time job and now I learn that nature hates the very vacuum I use as part of my arsenal.
Ok. I really came here to talk about landscape lighting. Here is what I have learned: Do not use motion sensor activated lights on your property if there are deer and wild horses running around the place all night. It makes the night far more restfull if the lights don't come on every 90 minutes. ....

Nature abhores a vacuum

View my Photos
Stan
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2002-05-10          38437

Great suggestion Mark !!! Of course, I had to move several of these modern conviences because you didn't post this sooner! Its a lot easier to sleep if someone isn't constantly waking you up to tell you the light just came on.

On the other hand, a friend put out a motion light out back over his deer feeder...and after a few nights, the deer don't care about it. Its a great way to let you know when there is someting to look at.

Peeters: Good idea w/ the transformer powered ones. We bought some (expensive) cheap solar ones...and they didn't last as well as I hoped for.

Nature abhores a vacuum

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2002-05-10          38438

My brother runs the "Northern Lights" landscape lighting business I advertise on this site.

He installs mostly line voltage lighting with large ballast boxes for up and down lighting (with metal hallide fixtures I think). But he does have some call for low voltage lighting.

He gave me one of those powerful Metal Hallide lights a couple of years ago to play with to see if I wanted to light my place up. I ran a couple hundred feet of extension cord and uplite a big silver elm on my property, it did look pretty impressive. Fortunately there are no other homes around me so it did not bother anyone.

I put it away and the light still sits in my basement. Just to lazy to trench in the wire all over the place.

Back to lights on at night I think some of the animals must actually adapt, that's why deer eat at the side of the road at night as they can see the grass better, raccoons eat your garbage right under your garage light, nature is just forcing them to adapt over time ;>)

Dennis
CTB

Nature abhores a vacuum

View my Photos
Peters

2002-05-10          38459

Mark;
I was thinking of the absence of posts to this subject. Nature abhores a vacuum refers to complete vacuum, absence of material. I ran a lab with high vacuum equipment, sputtering and E-beam coaters. Once in a while one of the coaters would be down as you went searching for the mysterious leak that suddenly appeared. Sometimes the search would take weeks.
I wish you had said something about the lights before I placed 4 pairs of them on the barn facing my bedroom windows. Of course I have the 120 lb nutty golden retriever to chase shadows all night long and scare them with blinding spots of light.
Stan, I also went the solar route around the pool. They light when they want and look like 6 anemic fireflies on the brick pillars.
Dennis - My deer feeder is a large persimon tree in the front yard. Naturally it is within range of one set of lights on the barn and it starts the cycle of golden retriever repell, deer return, light goes on, golden retriver repell etc. My only consillation is that the second party with the load bark, the old blind beagle met his end on the front of a truck last year. ....

Nature abhores a vacuum

View my Photos
cutter

2002-05-11          38469

I would have to believe Mark was making a joke. But that was a great explanation at any rate Peters! ....

Nature abhores a vacuum

View my Photos
Peters

2002-05-11          38475

I think so too, I certainly thought it was a laugh, but you can never tell with Mark. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login