Go Bottom

kwschumm xmas tree types

View my Photos
lucerne
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-01-05          103606

Kwschumm, We are on two opposite sides of the country, just about as far as you can get, do you have balsam firs out there. They are soft, prune up and shape nice for xmas trees and have the most beautifull smell there is, it is what is sold here for xmas trees, the brush to make wreaths and the sprills when dried and falling of for sachets, I guess thats what you call them, small filled cloth bags for scent. I have a few small ones on my property I could dig up with the root ball and ship them to you if you think they would make it, maybe start something new out there if you don't have them. Let me know.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

kwschumm xmas tree types

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-01-06          103641

lucerne, that's a generous offer. I really don't know what all kind of Christmas trees would grow out here. Mostly in this area it's Noble and Douglas firs, with some Grands. We had some balsam firs at our last house but they were sort of a low and slow growing variety, almost a small shrub. We actually don't grow Christmas trees for sale, instead we have a lot of very big trees that will eventually be logged. The Nobles we have were planted as Christmas trees long before we bought the place and now they are way too big for most uses. Nobles make lousy firewood and are too punky for building lumber so once they get big they're not worth much. They are dying off 10-15 per year anyway. Apparently their tap roots are much deeper than Douglas firs and they drill down into the clay muck and drown. We will be replacing them all with more Doug firs and probably some Western Red Cedars. This year we sold about 10,000 lbs. of Noble greens to a guy who resells them to makers of Christmas wreaths. The smell of Nobles is wonderful too, much nicer than Doug firs. ....

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Go Top

Share This

Member Login