Go Bottom

Tar and Chip Driveways Paving

View my Photos
DSP348
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-01-30          75516

I am building a 500' gravel driveway for a new house. Eventually I would like to dress it up some. I have seen pictures and read about tar and chip paving. It seems to be a good compromise between asphalt and gravel. I can't find anyone locally that does it (or even knows what it is). Does anyone out there have any experience with this?

Thanks

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
DK35vince

2004-01-30          75525

The company I work for does mostly asphalt paving, but we also dust oil and chip for several local Townships and on occasion tar and chip some driveways.
Tar and chip will hold up much better if you give your driveway a few years to settle in and get a good solid base. ....

View my Photos
HuckMeat

2004-01-31          75526

Any thoughts from you guys in the know on using recycled asphalt or recycled concrete over a packed road base? My excavator is going to cut/blast/etc my road starting next week. We are then going to put down 6" of pit run, and let my construction traffic pack it down. Depending on how that holds, I was then thinking about having recycled asphalt delivered and spread/grade it with my loader and blades. I've heard once it's packed, it's a pretty reasonable alternative to real paving. I've got a 1650' driveway.

Thanks,
John ....

View my Photos
harvey
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-01-31          75527

DSP348 You are looking for Oil and Stone. The industry uses asphalt products and blends them with some chemicals and water and produces an emlusion. It is spread from a truck at approx 150 deg F. The stone has to go into it as it is spread. You would probably need 2 lifts and letting the first cure before the 2nd.

A weel prepared driveway with 6" of crusher run compacted with a vibratory roller will do the job.

We do do some parking lots and roads over crusher run and they will handle some heavy traffic.

You do not have to worry about over agressive snow plows so you should be ok.

Harvey ....

View my Photos
harvey
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-01-31          75528

Huckmeat

I would use the recycle concrete as a base, provided it is well rubblized. If not use your standard aggrates from your area for a base. Then I'd put a minimun of 6" of grindings or millings (depends on up or down cut) and roll them in with your rubber tired rollers. It makes an awesome drive.

I have 8"+ in most of my drive and can run a loaded tractor trailer on it any time of the year with no damage. I run a NYS permitted truck at 107,000 lbs gross. During the spring when it is real soft and if you look real hard you can see where I was.

Many people hand rake the top for a very smooth surface and use a garden sprayer with a light oil, kero, diesel etc. to reactivate and let the asphalt in the material rebond. They are good looking drives.

Prices in central NY (depends on who you know for freebies) but FOB scrap/waste millings $10. ton, road millings and grindings $15+ ton, processed millings, recrushed, ready to be remixed with asphalt $23. per ton. ....

View my Photos
grinder

2004-01-31          75548

Huckmeat
Recycled asphalt worked real well for me. I am told it works
best with some screened gravel mixed with it, that is what I
used. I understand the theory to be the gravel allows it to
be regraded year to year. Straight asphalt will break of in
chunks when attempting to regrade. It stood up well in mud season, and is the accepted product to use over gravel before paving here in Maine.
Good luck

View my Photos
harvey

2004-01-31          75571

grinder I guess that would work but for the life of me I would not be able to figure out why someone would pay $10+ per ton for grindings then mix it with $4. per ton crushed gravel.

Crushed gravel works fine and you can play with it year after year and grade it and add to it and grade it somemore. Grindings you put in once grade roll and forget it. It is done.

But I do like the theory and it does sounds good. ....

View my Photos
DSP348

2004-01-31          75576

Thanks for the replies guys. Any Idea about cost? I have heard 1/2 to 2/3 the cost of regular paving. I like the less finished look over asphalt, but less money is just gravy. ....

View my Photos
harvey

2004-01-31          75579

I gave you the prices for stuff here in central Ny. Do south they treasure the recycle more yet.

Our virgin hot mix prices are $36+ per ton at plant.

We have done large drive ways with pavers and rollers and squirted calcium on the grindings to lock them in. It is an awesome drive. When the sun beats on it during the summer it is resealed.

The best part here is it is considered a temporary drive so the accessments for taxes are not raised. ....

View my Photos
grinder

2004-01-31          75581

Harvey
Maybe its a story to get more yards? They seem to add very little and Pike Industries calls it brownpack. Not sure if Pike is in your area? Last time I bought it is was 180.00
for a wheeler load(approx 12 yds.) Delivered.
I used it for the time being while saving to pave. 3"
of base and 1" of finish. Cats ass in my book. no dirt in
the garage and house. Asphalt on the floor doesn't
go over big.
What do you know about oil base sealer as opposed to water?
I used the asphalt base and it sucked it right up. ....

View my Photos
harvey

2004-01-31          75600

Grinder it has to be something to stretch a resource with something cheap put a name on it and keep the same price.

The asphalt found in grindings will not track into your house any more than the asphalt from your paved driveway however if it is loose on top it will come in just as dirt does.

Water based sealers would be something city people would want so they can clean up their tools with out a solvent.

Oil based sealers are an emlusion of asphalt and some other products that keep it all in suspension. Our people buy cheap tools and heave them. Some of the specility tools are cleaned with fuel. ....

View my Photos
grinder

2004-01-31          75609

Harvey
I was only kidding about stretching the product.(mainers have a dry sense of humor) I'm not sure why they do it, other than what I mentioned. I'm curious now, there is a retired gentleman here in town I'll ask, he may know. I'll
get back to you if I find another reason.
I went with the asphalt base after a little web research
it made the most sense,asphalt needs asphalt to keep it from drying out? And that the water base products are a barrier coating, laying on the surface. Would you agree
with my laymans definition?

View my Photos
lamarbur

2004-01-31          75615

we did about six miles of old gravel roads with chip seaql. They lay down type 80, then spred 3/4 stone, roll it, spread down type 70, lay dwon 1/2 inch stone, roll it, then type 70 again and lay down 1/4 chip stone. It sounds like a long process, but reqlly isn't. Of course we dealt with a company (All State) that this is all they do. As far as chip sealing, (3 stone layers) over well used gravel roads, this all I would ever do again. On previous highway budgets, some gravel roads were paved over with asphalt.. Come winter/spring season, many had stones come up and tear the asphalt which means pot holes anad pot hole patches.. With a gravel road that is chip sealed, if a stone comes up, 99% of the time, it does not tear, but rather moves like an elastic band. Only down side found with this system is the first four or so days. If a young teen wnats to "burn out" on newly laid chip seal, it can cause immediate erosion of product. If no one burns out first four days, you will get many years service from the chip seal system.. ....

View my Photos
harvey

2004-02-01          75652

Grinder I'd have to agree. I guess the trick is getting a good bond. I have seen 1" asphalt overlays with trapped water from poor pavement below. You'll notice a round pot hole 1-2" deep with a smooth level bottom...

I have to ask our lab engineers about the blend. We are a small company and our lab rats work with us on a daily basis.

The company web site has a snap shot of each area. ....

Link:   

Click Here

Go Top

Share This

Member Login