Go Bottom

Reasonable Price Core Aerator

View my Photos
DennisCTB
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-08-28          145134

From what I see the good core Aerators run about $1400. I was wondering if anyone came across a 48" core aerator more in the $700 range? I'll only be using it for my place so it will be laying around most of the time.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-08-28          145136

Dennis, while they're not yet very popular, there is another (much less spendy) version called a spring-tine aerator.

They work on a very simple but clever concept. The blades are a flat, star-shaped piece of spring steel and the tip of each point is twisted slightly. As the aerator is pulled along each of stars roll and as they do each successive point digs into the earth. However, since the points have been twisted, as they dig in the point twists and opens a hole.

We have been using this type of aerator quite successfully for a few years now, the advantage is they take a mere fraction of the horsepower to pull, and cost a LOT less, they also require little if any maintenance.

The one BIG advantage for us is that they leave no unsightly plugs behind, they just make an opening in the ground. With our reel type mowers those plugs are a maintenance nightmare, they take the edge of a mower in no time flat, and sharpening is VERY expensive.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2007-08-28          145139

Murf, where can you find those and any idea on price?

Dennis, I have seen 4 or 5 foot with 3 pt hitch at Agri Supply for about the $700 price range. Looked very well built. That was 3 or so years ago. So price will be up. They do have a web site and do ship but think you would have to call them on this item. They carry a lot of products that do not show on web site or catalog. Not sure why. kt

View my Photos
Ducati996

2007-10-14          146944

I see no reason to spend that much on an aerator when perfectly good units can be had for half that amount.

I have a Midwest 48" which I use with customers, and it does an excellent job, and holds up real well. Got it from Corriher (who closed down) but it looks like Tarheel sells the same brand/type for $725

Link:   Tarheel aerators

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2007-10-14          146948

That's some good info, how much did they charge to ship it? Are the spoons pretty strong? I have quite a bit of rocks. ....

View my Photos
Ducati996

2007-10-14          146969

Its a solid unit and will last a very long time. Honestly cant remember the amount for shipping, its been soo long ago, but it wasnt much back then. Also you save on taxes, so that should offset shipping charges. I havent broke a tine/plug yet, and the sharpness hasnt dulled on the tines either. Believe me i bounce it on everything ....

View my Photos
Art White

2007-10-14          146972

Dennis, you might be able to find a used Aerway machine at a good price. It seems some people start out with these machines and then loose interest. I've got a Snapper 20 inch corer coming this fall with little time on it. ....

View my Photos
crunch

2007-10-15          146997

I couldn't justify the cost of a heavier duty core aerator to the wife :( so I purchased a 48" core aerator from Sears for $200 and pulled it behind my Gravely 8122. I was pleasantly surprised at the plugs it took out of my rocky soil in the spring. And I think my lawn definitely thickened up and did very well this year due to the aerator. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login