Go Bottom

Moving a Large Rock with JD4310

View my Photos
crunch
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-06-12          154547

I have a large rock that will just fit in my bucket and hangs a foot or two out. Maybe 2 foot high, 4.5 feet wide, 2.5 foot deep. My JD4310 430 bucket can barely get it an inch off the ground but only at times. And I have to watch my rear tires because they may lift off the ground when I do this. I have already wrestled with this rock a bit when I pulled it out of the ground under a stone wall.

I would like to get this rock from my lower yard to my upper yard. I could just put it in the bucket and put some upward pressure on it to lighten it and let the bucket slide on the ground. Or I could put my rear forks on and try to pick it up - but could I break the 3 pt pins? I have lots of old decking planks, maybe I could make some sort of sled out of them.

This is a perfect sitting rock and I would like to have it as a rest stop on my nightly walks with the wife. Any advice on how to get this up the hill? I have a short road with a fairly gradual grade to the upper yard.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
crunch
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-06-12          154548

I forgot to mention I could also just plain tow it up the hill and just tear up a bit of turf on the way and in my upper yard. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2008-06-12          154550

The 3-point is rated to lift more than the loader. I forget the numbers but it's like 530-0% more. You may need to put more weight in the bucket to balance it out. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2008-06-12          154551

I agree, If you have rear forks give them a whirl. ....

View my Photos
crunch

2008-06-13          154554

Thanks Ken and Dr. I think I'll give the rear forks a whirl! ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2008-06-13          154555

I have had to do the same thing with stumps and concrete footers that were too heavy. Simply wrap some chain or tow straps around the bugger and lift it with the loader. Be sure your bucket is reinforced at the pickup point or it will end up looking like the bucket is grinning like the Cheshire Cat. And the loader needs to be raised high to take advantage of leverage. That said, be sure the rock won't swing into the tractor when you drive--especially up hill--you'll need to drive backward. In any event keep the rock low to the ground to prevent tipping over. ....

View my Photos
hardwood
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2008-06-13          154557

My 4310 is a seasoned veteran when it comes to digging out and moving rocks from farm fields. I dig them out with the #48 hoe then if the loader won't lift them I have on occasion for the bigger ones just rolled the rock by using the bucket curl to roll them ahead a curl at a time till I get them moved out of the way. The ones that the hoe won't pull out of the ground I just dig along one side of the rock and when the hole is big enough tip the rock into the hole and cover it up. Sometinmes the rock just keeps getting bigger as you dig down along it, so then you either just put the soil back and go away or call a big backhoe to get it out. Frank. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2008-06-13          154561

Your 3 pth probably will work fine, if not and you can get you hands on an old car hood, flipped they can be a good slick drag. kt ....

View my Photos
auerbach

2008-06-13          154567

I assume you want it for a decoration. Looks better if you sit it in a hole dug for the lower quarter or so, rather than perched entirely on the top of the surface.

Get a car hood from a wrecker, and roll it onto the middle. One driver pulls the hood with a 4WD vehicle while you push it with your bucket.

Go Top

Share This

Member Login