Go Bottom

guard on mower deck

View my Photos
RegL
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2001-10-09          32314

I have been pondering something and thought maybe someone here has had to deal with it.I have a small lawn mowing business and while mowing near a busy road with the guard flopped back,got to wondering if I could be found negligent if I threw a rock and clocked someone in the head.All the books and stickers on the mower clearly state not to operate mower without guard in place.However,none of the contractors in this area use the guards,and if you did,your lawns would not look as good as the compition and you would probable loose customers.Maybe i'm just fretting here but would like to here what others think.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

guard on mower deck

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2001-10-09          32315

That one would take a good lawyer to answer but don't ask two, as you might get different answers. Sometimes we have to do just as you said to compete, but how about mowing the edge where you might encounter that stone with the flap down. You might not hurt your mowing job and would not have to answer for something that you have done everything you can to prevent. ....

guard on mower deck

View my Photos
BillBass

2001-10-09          32327

You can bet that if your mower throws anything and hits someone and injures them, or even hits their car and dings a fender or cracks a windshield, you will probably be sued and found liable for their injures/damages. If the guard is not in place, you will probably also be found guilty of negligence, which would increase any monetary award a lot. I hope you have good liability insurance. A fact of life in our sue-happy society. ....

guard on mower deck

View my Photos
RegL

2001-10-09          32330

OK.Yes I do have insurance and I do use the guard where it looks dangerous not to or to keep grass off the side of the house ,etc.
I guess what I was wondering is,if it's a common practice to not use the guard in other areas or is it just here.Mowers seem to be unique in that use of safty features reduce the quality of job.Any manufactures want to coment? ....

guard on mower deck

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2001-10-10          32336

Your area is not unusal as to the commercial contrators running mowers with the chutes raised on some mowers. There are some mowers that can't mow without a windrow with out raising the chute. There are a few that will look for the brands that leave the least windrow for there buisness for the safety. ....

guard on mower deck

View my Photos
tom h.

2002-09-14          42383

Instead of wondering whether or not you can be sued why don't you first think about whether or not you are needlessly endangering others by your practice? If one has to really ponder the choice between killing or injuring someone vs. having a better looking lawn I'd be worried about our priorities. ....

guard on mower deck

View my Photos
KRAKY1

2003-09-03          63142

You might try and find out if a set of "Gator Blades" are made for your mower. They really send the grass out of the mower deck in a nice pattern. They also seem to reduce the partical size alot because instead of a normal "airfoil" they actually have raised "teeth" to recut and launch out the clippings. ....

guard on mower deck

View my Photos
Chief

2003-09-03          63149

RegL,

I am in the same boat as you. Small grass cutting and yard care business. I have a John Deere F525 and I cut without the guard installed. I bought the machine this way but I would not use it if it was installed. The grass throw pattern is much more dispursed and neat looking without it. With the guard installed and down, it causes the grass to be clumped up and messy looking. The Gatorblades and MegMow blades are supposed to reduce this if not eliminate it, but I am not paying their prices for blades when I have blades that get the job done with out the guard. Mind you I am VERY careful around people and cars and shut the mower down if there is a possibility of hitting anyone or a car on the road. Common sense and care must apply. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login