Go Bottom

Mulching

View my Photos
grinder
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-02-17          77118

FYI
Been looking for mulching blades, Thought this was interesting.

Link:   

Click Here

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Mulching

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-02-17          77132

Good link grinder. You might want to edit your post and remove the extra http:// from the link since it won't work correctly as it is. ....

Mulching

View my Photos
grinder

2004-02-17          77161

Thanks, I think I got it now.
Do you mulch or bag?
I'm thinking of mulching. ....

Mulching

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-02-17          77167

I don't do either since I don't mow where we live now :) But when I did mow I always mulched. I never went for the perfect lawn look anyway (a guy could go crazy striving for perfection) and mulching was healthier for the lawn. ....

Mulching

View my Photos
Murf

2004-02-17          77171

As some of you may know I (OK, the company) get to cut our fair share of turf.

When a course is being worked on, our built out, the care of the turf is the responsibility of the contractor. This is so that it is clear who is responsible for it, sort of a 'this is how you got it, and we want it back the same way' thing.

There was one little point made in that article which is the whole key to mulching grass clippings, it's a shame it wasn't emphasized more.

Clipping length. That's the whole thing right there.

If you cut grass often the amount cut off is negligible to the plant, and will not last long before disappearing into the soil.

The best time to cut is first thing in the morning. This is important for two reasons.

First it gets the dew off the grass and down to the earth where it can be used instead of just evapourating. In fact later in the season, or during a drought, it is common to 'drag' the grass at dawn. Basically a long bar is dragged cross-wise across the surface of the grass in order to get the dew to trickle down to the ground to be absorbed. This can make a HUGE difference in survival.

Secondly, when the grass clippings are created early in the morning they have all day to wilt and start breaking down in the hot sun. This speeds the process considerably.

If you're going to mulch it is critical that the clippings be kept as short as possible. It's also important not to clog the lawn with clippings, so if you're not prepared to cut often, don't try it. For most of the year I have to cut my place twice a week, in the spring/early summer time when it's really growing fast it gets cut every other day.

Best of luck. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login