Go Bottom

overseeders

View my Photos
RichM.
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-03-10          79491

planning to rent a 3 point pto driven overseeder in the next few weeks to overseed horse pastures. However the rental runs about 275 for the weekend. I can buy an older Brillion seeder ( GLP64-01) that is not pto powered but has notched wheels and looks heavy enough to get thru existing sod.Price 1450.00 Likely I'll be overseeding in the fall and possibly next spring as well. Rent or buy ? Ps any one have experience with these non powered Brillions ? Thanks.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

overseeders

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-03-13          79723

The Brillion is not right for your work unless it is tilled soil. To overseed you need the PTO powered unit which sells for about double the price of the Brillion new. Some seed might germinate with the Brillion but I doubt that much over a quarter of the seed might have a chance even though grass seed is shallow planting. The Brillion if in good condition is a good price. ....

overseeders

View my Photos
F350Lawman
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-03-21          80614

Rich,

Before you buy or rent check out your county's ag extension. In my county (Orange, NY) the county will rent a real nice seeder for $25 an acre, not time limit just a meter on the machine. It's a real beauty of a machine as well, some JD model, near brand new.

They don't give it out to seed the lawn on some mansion but here in NY horse keeping counts as an agricultural endeavor so it's ok.

I haven't done it yet. The machine was in my buddies barn for storage for most of last season so I bet getting it would be easy. I think he used it on a hay field and then it sat. He sadi I could pull it no problem with acompact 4x4 tractor, I just need to hook it into the existing hydraulics. ....

overseeders

View my Photos
Chief

2004-03-21          80632

For $275 plus shipping you can buy a pto spreader/seeder and spread grass seed. You will need to disk up and rough up the pasture to give the seed a good bed to start in. I just purchased one and use it to spread fertilizer and grass seed. WAAAAAAAY cheaper than an overseeder. ....

overseeders

View my Photos
Murf

2004-03-22          80715

Turf secret # 43.

After putting down the grass seed with a PTO spreader, go back over the whole area and lay down a fine layer of sawdust, it holds moisture and confuses the daylights out of all the birds who think you just converted your lawn into one massive bird feeder.

Then if possible spread another thin layer of shredded, screened topsoil over top of the above.

After all of this roll the whole area to push everything down into contact ith everything else and the earth.

Water well and keep moist until the new grass is at least 1" high.

Best of luck. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login