Go Bottom

460 Long hyd leak

View my Photos
robert58
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2017-05-17          196692

I have a 460 long , that is leaking hyd oil at rear of tractor near hyd drain plug . It is small hole with what looks like a cotter pin . Does anyone have any ideas ? Thanks .

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

460 Long hyd leak

View my Photos
fullcredit

2017-05-18          196693

The oil has to be coming from the axle seal. If I remember correctly, there is a wire that goes from the cotter pin to the bolt that holds the brake lever in place. Yes--seems kinda odd. That area should not have any oil, as this is where the brake band is. Has to be a leaking seal. ....

460 Long hyd leak

View my Photos
robert58

2017-05-20          196696

Thanks for the information, so do I need to remove the entire axle housing on the side that is leaking to get to replace the seals?

460 Long hyd leak

View my Photos
fullcredit

2017-05-23          196702

Yes you do. ....

460 Long hyd leak

View my Photos
aerotox

2017-05-23          196703

There is a small "weep" hole on my model 445 beneath the brake band that should allow a small leak from the axle seal to be handled without wetting your brake band. My weep hole was partially clogged. I replaced the brake bsnd anyway and it didn't help my brake. Yes, you need to remove the wheel and axle. It is heavy and I used an engine hoist to remove and suspend the axle while I worked on the brake. My understanding from reading about that axle seal is that there are some spacers that hold the axle seal in place and these spacers also control the mesh of the "differential" gears. I decided not to remove the axle seal for fear of never getting the mesh of gears correct. zThe seal was only leaking a tiny bit over the years and I just left the seal as is. Best of luck! Paul ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login