Go Bottom

Long 2610 broke in two

View my Photos
ed w. granger
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

1999-08-19          7088

I have a LONG 2610 with a LONG loader. It broke in two while cleaning a feence row . the tractor was in low 1st running 1800 rpm. LONG called this customer abbuse, is any one else out there had this problem.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Long 2610 broke in two

View my Photos
Ted

1999-08-19          7096

Ed: You said you were "cleaning a fence row". If you were loading the bucket full of rocks by hand, with the bucket up off the ground, it is entirely possible that you DRASTICALLY overloaded the machine. If this was the case, then yes it is abuse. A loader tractor will never lift enough to exceed the safety limit of the design. However, if the load is placed in the bucket with the loader in the air you might not realize how much weight is there till something like that occurs. I have seen it happen many times in the past. It is easier to do than you think, especially with a compact tractor. Count your blessings, you're still here to tell us what happened........ ....

Long 2610 broke in two

View my Photos
Ed W. Granger

1999-08-19          7101

Ted, Are you familiar with Long products? Are you in the tractor business? I'm trying to find out if this happens in other brand tractors and how often. I was pushing cutover tree tops to clear a fence row and pushed up against a stump (didn't even dent or scratch the stump) I was in Low 1st running 1800 rpm. I was carrying a 6' bush hog with the trail wheel on the ground so I could mow the grass as I pushed the tree tops out of the way. Are you in the tractor business. complete story, Ed W. Granger ....

Long 2610 broke in two

View my Photos
Roger L.

1999-08-20          7113

Hello Ed, sorry to hear that your tractor is broken. To establish my credentials up front, I don't have a Long tractor, am notfamiliar with them except generically, and am not a dealer. What I am is a hobbyist and owner of a few different tractors. I think that most people would agree that I am qualified to talk about stresses and loader designs. BTW, take all the information you get with the grain of salt. For all you know, I'm a 12 year old with an attitude. :-) From your description of the problem several things are not clear to me. For one, I don't know if you even had a loader onthis tractor. You don't say so. What are cutover tree tops? Why would you push them to clear a fence row? What do you pushing them with? A loader bucket? The front of the tractor? A blade? I live out West and these are not common terms in myarea. In fact, I've never heard of them. Tractors sometimes do break in half. Did yours just crack? or break and fall to the ground? The cause is usually thought tobe mounting a loader that has an incomplete (half) subframe or none at all. A complete subframe goes from the front of the tractorall the way to the rear axle. The loader arms are mounted to this subframe; not to the tractor. I have never seen a tractor with acomplete loader subframe break in half. But I have seen tractors of several makes with a half subframe break - as well as onesthat have used a three-point mounted backhoe without the lift-arm stabilizer. Most of these were overloaded. Like most mechanica-type guys, I have wondered about the quality of castings from third-world manufacturers. If you suspecta flawed casting, you might consider taking the pieces to a metallurgical testing lab. Most cities of 100K with an industrialmanufacturing area will have one. ....

Long 2610 broke in two

View my Photos
David

1999-08-20          7115

Well it has happened. I have posted on this subject before advising owners that farm tractors with loaders are not bulldozers. I am a tractor dealer and prior to that I was an engineer for twelve years. I have seen other tractors break in half before. It can happen, to any brand. You loaded you tractor the worst way possible. You had a large load on the front of the tractor (loader) and a large load on the rear of the tractor (bush hog) The tractor was trying to flex in the middle due to the large overhanging loads on each end of the tractor. As you discovered cast iron doesn't flex, it breaks (fractures in engineering terms). Most industrial and purpose built loader tractors, true backhoes, all have an external steel frame around the castings. There is a reason for this, but this beefing up cost money. I tend to agree the tractor was used beyond its design capacity. ....

Long 2610 broke in two

View my Photos
Brent Pepper

1999-08-20          7120

Well one problem I see already is a lot of assumptions being made about how you were using your tractor before you even gave any details. I deal in grey market tractors and have only seen Long tractors. No they aren't the greatest tractors in the world but they appear solid enough. If what you said is true that the pressure you exerted on the stump was not enough to dent or scratch the stump I doubt that did it by itself. It could have been a weak casting? How old is the tractor? What kind of loader was it? Pushing tree tops surely would be enough to break the tractor, I have pushed a lot more with a lot less!Brent ....

Long 2610 broke in two

View my Photos
ED W.GRANGER

1999-08-20          7126

1995 modle, LONG tractor, and loader ....

Long 2610 broke in two

View my Photos
ED

1999-08-20          7128

1) yes i had a front loader with a bucket on it.2) cutover is land that has been logged, the limbs and tree tops are left after cuting the timber.The fence row is were I am going to build a fence along side of my road and its in the edge of this cutover. Some of the tree tops and limbs had falled in the way and had to be pushed back. This is dry wood and is not real large.3)Broke in two peices, not cracked, it's a half frame mount. ....

Long 2610 broke in two

View my Photos
Ed W. Granger

1999-08-20          7129

No were in the operator manual says I shouldn't use an implement on the rear at the time I am using the loader this 6'hog is no different than doing dirtwork with a good hydrolic box blade. Considering its floating with the trail wheel on the ground.ed / TX ....

Long 2610 broke in two

View my Photos
Roger L.

1999-08-20          7135

Then the first place I would talk to would be the loader manufacturer. They need this information and might be willing to repair the tractor in return for some forensics. That will depend on their interest in the matter. I don't see that they areunder any obligation, since anyone who buys a half-frame aftermarket loader presumably knows what they are getting. If the loader manufacturer IS the tractor manufacturer - then I would ask themto repair the entire unit at no charge. This would be pretty much open and shut bad design. All is just my own personal opinion based on what you have said....a good attitude will get more repairs than a good argument, I think. Roger ....

Long 2610 broke in two

View my Photos
MichaelSnyder

1999-08-20          7139

Ed,I agree with Roger, auto manuf's/dealers will always try to blame you. but laws are written to help the consumer. Keep a positive attitude at all times. Not exactly related, but people spend big bucks at seminars to learn how to convince people to your way of thinking. IMHO, Dale Carnagie says it best. People are driven by "What's in it for me?" With that said, I would view it more as thier problem than yours, and try to direct this situation as something they need to address or will benefit them by fixing it. Not knowing the age of the machine, or previous uses that may started a "crack", I would have them prove "abuse" anyone can say it....Prove it. Again not related to your situation, but I would visit www.getpower.com, and read the article that talks about aftermarket parts affecting a manuf's warranty. Although your not dealing with aftermarket parts, its a good article to educate you and possibly give you assistance in dealing with these guys. Its probably not going to be easy, but remember "The sqeaky wheel gets the oil.!" And if the sqeak can't be fixed, it gets replaced. Hopefully that old saying will work for you. :o) ....

Long 2610 broke in two

View my Photos
ed

1999-08-20          7145

Everything was manufactured by (Long) loader and tractor. thanks Roger ....

Long 2610 broke in two

View my Photos
Todd

1999-08-20          7149

based on what I've read here today I generated questions concerns and fears regarding Long. No ones customer service should say "no its your fault" with no grounds to do so. This concerned me and since I am about to buy a tractor from a long dealer, I got a vested interest here. I emailed Long myself (you can do that from ther website which is much improved over the old one) regarding this situation, the lack of info on the landtrac tractors and the companies policies concerning service after the sale. I expected no response, at least not immediatly (I know the responses from deere are slow), but a man called me from north carolina within the hour with answers that were satisfactory to me. He says that Long does back up there products, but with any equipment, usage and care is important and creates the driving decisions as to what is a "Long fault" and what is abuse. The man explained to me the different Quality lines of tractors that Long sells (let it be noted that for everything but the landtrac this is common knowledge if you do your homework) the Longs are built in Romania and In Eds case india. The India tractors are the Long low end, and this is no secret as it is reflected strongly in the purchase price. The india built items have weaker castings and parts...they are built with low cost in mind that is why they are inexpensive. With this in mind I think it is safe to say that "customer abuse" of an india built long and customer abuse of a caterpillar dozer would certainly be defined differently. this continued on next post ....

Long 2610 broke in two

View my Photos
Todd

1999-08-20          7151

Long believes Ed used the tractor beyond its intended design limits and this may or may not be true, we the ctb readers will never know for sure. Ed never told us what Longs reason for calling it abuse was (maybe he didn't ask). We don't know if they or Ed's dealer looked at the tractor, and we don't know if they quoted him a fair price to fix it assuming it was abuse. I have to say that the Long guys were more than willing to discuss the matter the products and the company policies. The man appeared honest open and certainly eager to please. He answered many of my questions regarding the landtracs, we discussed all of the warranty claims on this tractor and how each were handled (including refunding one unhappy customers money). The openness and helpfulness that I recieved from these people was well above average. It says a lot that with Long you can call and discuss your problems with an individual person. They are a smaller company than many, and have a vested interst in customer service. Long doesn't give you a claim number they speak with you individually (even when your not a customer like me). I was unsure until today, But I like what I have heard. In the coming month I intend to buy a landtrac 280. As for Ed I hope things work out for you, but it sure sounds like you might have been angry and had some communication problems. I think if you are telling the truth and it was not abuse. Long will do you right..if you are leavin somthin out of the story...well then I don't now. If you haven't already call and calmly talk it out with them. I wish you the best. Maybe trade yours in towards a Landtrac...who nows ....

Long 2610 broke in two

View my Photos
Ed

1999-08-20          7152

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------Todd, (please read all my postings the whole story is there) The factory was the ones I spoke with, they originally agree to fix the tractor at no cost. Then they call back through their dealer three days later and call it customer abuse and refused to do anything to help. Mr. Cobb in service at Long Agribusiness made that choice and didn't have the curtesy to call himself. Were are the limits of this tractor published, certinly not in the owners manual. There are no warnings of catastrophic failure if you use a rear emplement while using the loader. ....

Long 2610 broke in two

View my Photos
Larry in MI.

2000-05-06          16020

Ed,
I drove by a MF dealer today and noticed the Long compacts on display. They looked great. I did not stop for a closer inspection but made a mental note of the dealer location for future reference. After reading these posts I would not waste my time talking to a Long dealer. Tractors were meant to do work and they should stall out before they break in half! I suspect these posts have already cost Long more money than if they had treated you right in the first place. If Long plans to run with the big dogs they better change their attitude about customer service. Just the mention that a tractor MAY break in half is enough to make me stay away from it. In fact, Long may have placed you in grave danger due to a defective design. Way too may farmers have been killed by thoughtless designs of people looking to make a dollar. It's about time that certain safety and quailty standards were imposed on the the tractor market. Anyone who sells such sub-quality equipment should not have the right to blame the user. ....

Long 2610 broke in two

View my Photos
TomG

2000-05-07          16023

Guess that's why JD doesn't make or recommend a back hoe for their 4100 even though some owners use them without problems. Wonder if JD is being responsible, wants to avoid government-imposed standards or was worried about liability.

Anyway, maybe the whole thing shouldn't be placed on manufacturers. I don't think I'd want to pay the price for a tractor that was so over-designed that
it couldn't be damaged from any kind of irresponsible operation. I hope we all learn something about responsible operation, as well as good manufacturers, by reading these forums.

Of course, none of this says anything about Long Tractors. I've never seen one or know anything about them. ....

Long 2610 broke in two

View my Photos
Tim Owner of lazy T

2003-04-16          53207

You can take this for what it is worth but I have a 1979 model 360 that I bought new and if there is one thing I have got to say for it is the fact that it is one of the toughest tractors I have ever owned. The tractor seems to be severly under-rated for its size. I have pulled a 3-14 3pt turning plow with it with no problem even in rocky ground. But I found out that the lift arms couldnt handle the 38 horse power diesel that was driving this little powerplant. I have run tractors rated at 45 horses that would not hang in there with this little tractor. Just this past week my nephew broke the steering arm on it and other than that and the 2 lift arms and one thermostat I havent done anything to it other than change oil and filters. It burns about 3 quarts of fuel per hour and delivers a ton of work for the fuel it uses. for the last 6 or 7 years I have been working around 2000 acres of hay per year not to mention all of the bush-hogging, landscaping, sowing, and other odd jobs it gets stuck with. I think that some of the raw materials that Long used must not have been top quality but for the price difference and the amount of work you get out of them, they are hard to beat. ....

Long 2610 broke in two

View my Photos
Woodbeef

2003-04-20          53445

Long does not manufacture tractors. They sell what is known as badge-engineered tractors,built by someone else with Long's name on them. The 2610 is from Universal (UTB) of Romania. They do have some problems with bolts coming loose from time to time,especially when loaders are installed. How many hours on this tractor? When was the last time you tightened the loader frame mounting bolts? What about the tranny bellhousing to engine block bolts?

I have seen just about every brand of non-framed tractor come apart over the years on loader use,when the bolts were not checked and retightened over the years.

Go Top

Share This

Member Login