Go Bottom

Front Weights Busted Clean Off

View my Photos
CharlieR
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-04-05          82260

Does anyone know how much weight can be held up on the front of a Long 520 2WD? I had 700 pounds (100#s from after market bumper/grille + 6 100#s weights). All four bolts went SNAP at once while disking. As far as I know the bolts were tight. The tractor was bouncing a little on the rough ground, but not that much. There appears to be no damage to the tractor. Anyway I really need to mount the weights back on and want to make sure not to over load it.
Thanks.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
TomG

2004-04-06          82285

I don't know how much weight on the front is OK or needed given the operation. My thought about the bolts is to check the grade (grade codes should be on the bolt heads). If the weight is OK for the tractor and the bolts are Grade-2, I'd replace them with Grade-5 bolts. I think SAE bolts are also grade-5. There are harder bolts available I don't think I'd go above grade-5. Maybe there are different opinions. ....

View my Photos
beagle
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-04-06          82323

Would really need to know more about how the bumper/carrier was mounted to understand if the bolts failed in shear or in tension due to an induced moment on the bracket. Impact loading can more than double the weight on the connection. If you can provide some information; diameter of bolt, distance from connections to the center of the weight, and how the bumper/carrier attaches to the tractor, a solution is possible. Going to grade 5 or grade 8 bolts might keep the bolts from failing, but the soft bolts could have saved you tractor damage.

Be careful of aftermarket products. Things happen that void manufacturer's warrenties. ....

View my Photos
TomG

2004-04-07          82368

My 'if/then' sentence was a little fluffy I guess. As Beagle points out the first step should be determining how much weight the front end is designed to carry and maybe followed by a related question of how much is needed.

There's a certain logic to the idea that if the weight is within designed limits and the bolts break then the bolts might be the problem. I think most similar applications would use SAE bolts but owners and sometimes techs do stick in hardware bolts in a pinch. You sure don't want to use stronger bolts to carry weight that exceeds the tractor design though. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login