Go Bottom

Long 360

View my Photos
landmagget
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-04-21          83825

Engine Idle unsteady (1500 rpm and low). Finally died. Been some time since I had replaced fuel filters. Replaced filters bled system. Started engine, had to use starting fluid. Engine Idled for about 5 minuets, then started idling 1500 rpm and low until it died. It only would run if assisted with starting fluid.

Does anyone have any sugestions?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Long 360

View my Photos
loghouse95

2004-04-22          83908

Do NOT use starting fluid to start this engine!!!! Try adding an injector cleaner for diesel engines ....

Long 360

View my Photos
WayneTerry

2004-04-22          83914

Thanks for the warning. ....

Long 360

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-04-22          83923

It's not unusual for a small diesel engine to run for a few minutes then die again after air got into the feul system. It may take 15 minutes of fast idle to completely purge all the air out of the injection system.

If you need to use an aid to get it to start just use WD-40, do NOT use starting fluid (ether), it is too volatile and can damage the engine.

You don't say how bad the old filter looked, but if it was very dirty it is possible there is debris elsewhere clogging the system. Take a flashlight and look at the bottom of the tank, that's usually a good place to start, if there is visible debris and or water clean it out, you don't want either going anywhere into the sytem.

Best of luck. ....

Long 360

View my Photos
Raleigh

2004-04-23          84023

I don't know about the 360 model. I do have a 2610. It came new with paint in the top of the fuel tank that started breaking loose soon after I got it. The paint would stop up a small strainer on the primary fuel pump. If yours has a hand primer on the pump look at the top of that pump and you'll see a small hex head bolt. If you see this,you can remove that bolt and get the strainer out and clean it. The paint ruined the pump after stopping the fuel from flowing 4 times. The dealer replaced it, No charge. Haven't had any problems since. When the strainer was just about plugged it showed some similar symptoms as you described.

Ether, I never use it now. But did back in the 70's(old Dexter). The best way I found to use ether if it has to be used is spray some on a clean piece of cloth and hold it over the air intake while starting the engine. This limits to ammount that gets in the combustion chanber. For cold weather starting I use an engine tank heater. Makes it start in Jan. like July weather and a lot easier on the starter and engine. ....

Long 360

View my Photos
WayneTerry

2004-04-23          84050

Thanks everyone for the help. It ended up being the fuel pump defective. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login