Go Bottom

MF 253 info ASAP

View my Photos
MsKid75
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-06-09          130712

I need info on a 1988 massey 253. I am going to look at one tomorrow and need to know what to look for as far as known weaknesses(if any)and what it might be worth. Owner says it has 1320 hours. Any info would be appreciated.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

MF 253 info ASAP

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-06-12          130758

I realize it is the day after you were going to look at this tractor.

Based upon family and friends' exp with this line of MF the clutch and the cooling system seems to be the areas of concern. The radiator on theirs clogged and on one the clutch had tendancy to slip after pulling heavy load.

GD,

MF 253 info ASAP

View my Photos
MsKid75

2006-06-12          130766

I decided to get it after looking at it Saturday. I did notice the clutch seemed hard to press. Is this normal? Thanks for the info! ....

MF 253 info ASAP

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-06-12          130771

To me they are hard or strong clutches to use. They seem to be a good, dependable simple tractor. This is their price line if I am saying that correctly.

One thing the MF will do, they normally have a high road gear compared to any other brand I have used.

Hope you enjoy it.

MF 253 info ASAP

View my Photos
MsKid75

2006-06-14          130876

I replaced the original temp gage with a new one that has actual temps on it. The tractor runs 150 degrees according to the gage. Is this the temp that it should run? Thanks. ....

MF 253 info ASAP

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-06-15          130879

MsKid,

has actual temps on it.

I don't know the normal temp for the Perkins engine. I would think 150 to be low. I have only seen the OEM guage which has no temps only colors on it.

Okay temps experts, help out. ....

MF 253 info ASAP

View my Photos
MsKid75

2006-06-15          130891

It runs between 150-155. This is after disking for about 20 minutes. Did I give it long enough to warm up sufficiently? This is my first tractor and first diesel so I am sort of "green" on some of this stuff so please bear with me. Thanks again.

By the way, I seen some thermostats for other MF and they were 160 degree units. I haven't actually seen one for my particular model though. ....

MF 253 info ASAP

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-06-16          130927

I asked my shop yesterday on this and they said that engine runs about 205 to 210. It could be your thermostat is stuck open, or missing. Is it possible the sending unit is not a match for you new guage or it is bad. I would think you had run it sufficient to see it reach it's normal operating temp. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login