Go Bottom

massey ferguson 1030

View my Photos
eric2munro
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-04-17          141363

Hello - I've been looking at a 1986 MF 1030. I need a small tractor and this particular one has been very well cared for - it has 970 hours and was stored indoors. However, I've been researching and can't find much information in the way of owner testimonials. I've seen a few posted on ebay, but obviously the sellers aren't going to say their machines are lemons. What I have noticed is that none of the machines for sale have a lot of hours on them. Most are in the 1000 hour range. I wonder if these units can last for 6000+ hours that you would normally expect out of a good diesel machine. Comments please... and thank you.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

massey ferguson 1030

View my Photos
yooperpete
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-04-18          141367

Sorry, I can't directly help you with your question. I have my dad's old 1965-68 MF135. It is a gas model with 4200hours. As far as I know the engine has not been rebuilt yet. We got it back in '82. It ain't pretty, its first home was tough on her, think we recued it. The loader is sprung slightly, the grille it smashed out, paint faded and the backhoe has had shafts ripped off from abuse. A gear tooth from high range also got busted out, so we just use low range. One rear rim rusted out from calcium chloride rusting through.

We haven't used it much lately, but starts every time. The only thing I don't like is the clutch. Pedal movement is vertical rather than horizontal like on old Farmalls. I'm jerky on starts.

So from my input, I'd say the model you're looking at should be reliable. Most people don't use a tractor as much as you would think. That's why hours are low and people get rid of them from lack of use rather than from problems. ....

massey ferguson 1030

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-04-18          141370

eric, I am about like YP in I can not answer your question direcly on the model. Massey has units built in many countries, the products being current or old design varies to me a good bit. In larger tractor they have a pure price line and then a better quality line or they did a few years ago. The ones built in England seemed to be top notch, those from Turkey or Brazil (not sure which now) were less on current design, more price per horse power.

6000 hours I doubt you would see that on a small tractor just due to again what YP mentioned most are not run unless in a business near as much as many think they are.

I purchased a Case over a British built Massey a few years ago. The sales really thought I should go with the Massey as he said parts can be bought at any NAPA store for the perkins engine. It also weight a lot less than the Case. Have no idea the brand of engine they use in the small tractor. kt ....

massey ferguson 1030

View my Photos
Murf

2007-04-18          141371

The MF1030 was one of the "new" MF's, a re-branded Japanese import from the mid 80's.

The reason you likely won't find much info. on them was the way they were sold, they were pitched almost exclusively to the existing MF customers through the existing dealer network, there was little money spent on advertising them since nobody (MF or their dealers) was very confident they were going to be able to sell very many of them, or for how long they would sell and/or support them.

As it turned out, they were a pretty good little machine. I had several of them in the fleet in the early years of the company. The 1030 was about a 20hp model.

Best of luck. ....

massey ferguson 1030

View my Photos
jimmyd51
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2014-06-27          190557

have a 1986 massey ferguson 1030. have owned it for over 3 years and so far no issues at all. I use it to mow 8 acres with a bush hog. use it numerous times during the warm weather as I keep my property mowed. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login