Go Bottom

bent 3 point arm

View my Photos
pdmholmes
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2009-10-24          166501

Hi, the pin at top end of my 3 point arm slipped out a bit and i ended up bending one side of the u shaped holding arm (while i was using the roto vator)
the holes now do not line up so the pin will not go back into the far hole
a thinner pin will just get through - does anyone think it will be strong enough to last?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

bent 3 point arm

View my Photos
greg_g
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-10-25          166507

I doubt it. Makes more sense to straighten the u-connector. Why not just take it to a machine shop and let them realign the holes in a hydraulic press?

First you need to confirm that we're both talking about the same thing; I'm talking about the U-shaped brackets at both ends of the vertical link that pin through a swivel ball in the upper lift arms. If yes, all you typically need is a pliers. The brackets are typically held on with clevis (or similar) pins like the one you bent (one top, one bottom). The clevis pins themselves are likely secured with split pins or hitch pins that have to come out first. that's where the pliers comes in

If you have the type where a swivel ball in the vertical link pins to a U-shaped bracket on the end of the upper lift arm, that's a different story. Not hard to remove either, but possiblhy a bit more difficult to align.

//greg// ....

bent 3 point arm

View my Photos
pdmholmes

2009-10-25          166510

thanks for the organizing - am new at this and tried double posting - as for the tracotr i have the second type you mentioned - i will have a look at the upper arm and see how it attaches to the tractor and let you know

bent 3 point arm

View my Photos
greg_g
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-10-25          166511

Not sure how Massey did it on the 165. Mine are just held in place with simple hex head bolts and big old flat washers. Others may be held in place with roll pins. In either case, it's a matter of removing the retaining device - then tapping the lift arm off it's splines.

//greg// ....

bent 3 point arm

View my Photos
pdmholmes

2009-10-26          166532

looks like a bolt holding arm in place - not sure if i will get into a big job taking it off ....

bent 3 point arm

View my Photos
greg_g

2009-10-26          166535

Naw, it's just a retaining device. Once removed, you can then tap the arm off the (horizontal) splined shaft. The shaft seals are farther back, and should be of no immediate reason for concern.

How far off would I be if I guessed that this is your first tractor?

//greg// ....

bent 3 point arm

View my Photos
kthompson

2009-10-26          166540

I have tried following this thread and not 100% I fully understand which part you have bent but based upon Greg's comments on the spline it must be on the tractor itself. If so it might be a cast material and some cast material does not handle bending very well, rather break.

bent 3 point arm

View my Photos
pdmholmes

2009-10-26          166545

you are spot on with this my first tractor - an early 60's massey.
i think you are right and the upper arm may tap off the spline
- i had a go with roto tilling a field full of broom using a thinner pin to hold the upper and vertical arms together - a quick fix i agree and will try fixing the upper arm soon
not so sure what to do after roto tilling the field - is it getting too late too plant sileage ....

bent 3 point arm

View my Photos
greg_g

2009-10-27          166555

KT's right about the upper arm likely being a bit more complicated to straighten. Rolled steel - like that in the vertical link itself - can often be straightened with force alone. Cast or forged steel is more brittle, and requires heat before/during the straightening process. But a competent machine shop should take all this into consideration before risking damage to your goods.

In my experience, you don't "plant" silage. Silage is created from grasses and/or crops that are harvested while still "green". But maybe we're applying different definitions to your term.

//greg// ....

bent 3 point arm

View my Photos
pdmholmes

2009-10-27          166568

that sounds right about cast iron
new problem turned up when i tried a second roto till effort - pto wont engage - the little arm below the seat on left seems loose - cant find any gear or anything to slip into ....

bent 3 point arm

View my Photos
kthompson

2009-10-27          166570

On the PTO, see if there is a roll pin in the lever that has worked loose and not rotating the shaft. You should be able to see if the shaft is rotating when working the lever, with tractor off of course.
I have operated a Massey or two from about that time frame and do not remember any other PTO controls. On one model the transmission level had enough play in it (designed issue, not wear) to allow you to pick it up enough it would clear the shifter linkage in the transmission. Not hard to fix but easier to just don't lift up the lever when shifting. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login