pigpen1
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2009-12-18          167561

Anyone ever heard of a poor weather cab or enclosure for a 99 MF 231

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

trying to find an inclimate weather cab

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-12-18          167562

I think there's one called weather brake or break. It looks goofy in that it doesn't cover your top but only surrounds your sides. You need a windshield too. For what it's worth, I'd be tempted to get some Carrhart coveralls with hood, gloves, boots, hat and goggles. Funny...we have been waiting for snow but yet guys are hoggin' it LOL (I have a heated cab on my machine) ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2009-12-19          167563

TSC type stores used to have the heavy canvas "Heat Houser" type that went up along side the engine to bring some heat back to the operator. They had a universal frame that would fit most tractors. I haven't saw one for years but they may still be available. Before tractor cabs became common most every farmer with livestock chores had one on a chore tractor. ....

View my Photos
yooperpete
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-12-19          167570

If you look at my photos 2 & 3 you will see a TSC vinyl heat houser. It is 3 sided with a windshield on all 3 sides. It is a universal mount. It is a little delicate but mine has been in use for about 10 years. Think it was under $200.00 at the time.

My farm driveway is in open country and the wind blows really hard. Without it, it was miserable clearing the driveway. Wind can blow in from behind but is tolerable. On warm days, it gets pretty warm inside where I dress down a little. ....

View my Photos
pigpen1

2009-12-19          167583

Hey thanks guys Im gonna get to work finding the heat houser, but as earthwrks suggested I am going to the local Carhartts retailer tomorrow. Gloves,boots,hats,& goggles I got never had need of the coveralls in S.W. Florida but here in NC... well guess I was'nt as prepared as I thought LOL. I'll get it together with a little help from my friends up north, on the forum ....

View my Photos
cutter

2009-12-21          167627

Darned that global warming... ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2009-12-22          167633

TV weather girl said there is a three day global warming thing coming, I'd better fuel up the baby Deere. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2009-12-22          167644

For many years we did commercial snow removal on open station machines.

The best solution we came up with was a snowmobile helmet with an electrically (12 volt) heated visor to keep it clear.

Some of the guys still think it was easier to see what you're doing in a bad storm wearing a snowmobile helmet than sitting in a cab.

We're currently working on a monster snow removal machine for a special site that has some very unique problems. In that case we are going to an elevated cab (much like a combine) to keep the snow away from the glass and to increase visibility. The site it will be on received 48" of snow in a single (less than) 24 hour period 10 days ago.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2009-12-22          167651

A big consideration with any enclosure is heat inside. Too cold and your breath will condensate and turn to ice. I've found when not enough heat is available, leave the door open or open two windows to. Draft going so your breath doesn't come near the windshield.

What we do here in Michigan on non-cabbed dozers which have reversible radiator fans, that is they blow the air forward, guys will run a large flexible hose about 12" in diameter from in front and around to the face of the operator.

That heat houser thing wouldn't be my choice since on my blue the battery sits in front of the radiator. I would be concerned sulfuric(?) acid gases would be inhaled. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2009-12-22          167652

Murf would an air curtain work to deflect the snow in front of the cab? A recycler/processor excavator that uses an elevated cab might be the ticket for the cab and lifting arm. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login