Go Bottom

MF 1020 Gear Tranny Question

View my Photos
Chardway
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2010-06-04          171331

I just bought a nice 1985 MF 1020 4x4 tractor that is gear drive. It has 702 hours on it. It is supposed to have 12 forward speeds... 3-speeds in the tranny, a 2-speed gearbox and a 2-speed rear. When I change the selector lever under the 4x4 engagement lever I really don't notice much, if any difference in speed. Also, when 4x4 is engaged, should the tractor travel the same speed as when in 2WD? Mine doesn't... it moves much slower in 4WD. Is all this normal?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

MF 1020 Gear Tranny Question

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-06-17          171605

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chardway | view 171331
When I change the selector lever under the 4x4 engagement lever I really don't notice much, if any difference in speed. Also, when 4x4 is engaged, should the tractor travel the same speed as when in 2WD? Mine doesn't... it moves much slower in 4WD.
I don't know your tractor but please read back over what you have written. Either there is a mistake in that or my reading is wrong. I read that it makes make much difference and then it runs slower when shifting into 4 wheel drive as to speed.

Trying to guess here on my end: are you sure which lever you are shifting? Place your tractor with a pull load on it and get on soft dirt and you should be able to tell when the front wheels are pulling to know when you have the 4 wheel drive engaged.

You might be getting the range and 4 wheel selector confused. It is possible a decal could be wrong also.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Go Top

Share This

Member Login