Go Bottom

MT300D

View my Photos
westies2go
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2008-07-20          155448

I purchased an MT300D this week. The owner stated it runs great, but had a little trouble starting it. He started it, turning the engine over multiple times, using starting fluid. The tractor fired up and ran smoothly with no missing or changes in the RPM. I bought the tractor and had it delivered. He repeated the process when he delivered the tractor to get it off the trailer and left the engine running. There was plenty of diesel in the tank. It died and I have not been able to start it since. I need to know the exact engine nimber and a place to order parts from. A neighbor stated it is the glo plugs. Help!

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

MT300D

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-07-20          155464

If he had use ether in the summer to get it started you should have passed on it. Sorry. The glow plugs would help--if it has them. Actually, you should NEVER use ether in an engine that has glow plugs---you could start a fire/explosion if the ether came in contact with the glow plugs if a valve were slightly open. Some equipment has a heater grid/element in the intake manifold, and no plugs at all.

My guess: First the easy low-cost stuff to check:
Air fiter(s) plugged;
Fuel cap vent is blocked;
Fuel filter is blocked;
Water in the tank from sitting---remove the sedimant bowl if it has one and look for slimey/snot-looking goop in the bottom of the bowl.

Now the expensive parts:
Bad injector pump;
Worn--really worn--engine rings;
Head gasket.

OR ANY combination of the above.

Typically, if you spray too much ether in a good, sound engine, it will lock up before it ever starts.

Good luck. ....

MT300D

View my Photos
westies2go

2008-07-22          155507

The tractor does have glo plugs and Merritt Equipment is supposed to have the glo plugs ready to pick-up about 8am today. The tractor ran fine when it was delivered until it died. (He did use the starting fluid to start it to back it off the trailer) We used the tractor for over an hour before it died. It would occasionally hit like it was going to start, but did not start. My fuel cap is a solid top, unlike my yanmar cap. Should I get a vented cap? Hopefully the Merrit Equipment ordered the correct glo-plugs and it will fix it as far as the running part. If it is worn rings, would it not lose power under load? We were moving a dirt pile using the front end loaded prior to it quiting. It died on the way back to the barn. Does anyone know the glo-plug part number or if it crosses over with another tractor in case the tractgor place ordered the wrong ones? ....

MT300D

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-07-22          155519

If the cap is the issue, leaving it loose should prove it as air would be able to enter the tank.

No diesel mechanic but sure seems impossible bad glow plugs could be related to a running problem. They are used for starting aid.

Have you check your fuel items as EW suggested? filters and for water and such? Do check the air passage all the way to the engine. kt ....

MT300D

View my Photos
earthwrks

2008-07-22          155541

The rings in my older skidsteer were broken and parts of them were missing. It still ran great lots of power but dripped oil EVERYWHERE out the crank case vent and the muffler. And it smoked like crazy until it warmed up.

The tank's vented cap will prevent a vacuum in the tank which would lead to starvation (something Kenny's not familar with tehehe). Try removing the cap and see what happens.

If it is getting fuel, there should be smoke--white or grayish when not running, and a puff of black just before it starts then back to grayish right after it starts then to clear.

No smoke (usually) means no fuel (all things being equal and correct like no air passage blockage, fuel solenoid is working and open). But even with straight ether it should start if not completely lock up.

MT300D

View my Photos
nemein

2009-06-01          163114

Do you still have the mt 300D tractor and did you get it running? ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login