Go Bottom

Away From Her

View my Photos
DennisCTB
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-01-08          150038

Away from Her

Have you seen the "The Notebook". Well this is a story of a Canadian older couple that are avid cross country skiers. Unfortunately, the wife is stricken with Alzheimer's.

I know its a sad film, but it is beautifully done, not the Hollywood type of film that the Notebook was.

My mom has Alzheimer's and it portrayed many similarities to what my Dad's life with my mother has become, though he has opted keep my mother at home by his side, unlike this film.

A heart warming story about the sad situation many of our parents find themselves in.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Away From Her

View my Photos
beagle
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-01-08          150039

Thanks for the tip.

My mother-in-law is in the early stages. May be a flick the wife and I need to check out. ....

Away From Her

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2008-01-08          150040

Beagle,

Yes it would probably be good for her to see.

The one anomaly that I saw in the film was that the woman with Alzheimer's had some cognitive understanding of what was happening to her. So much so that she wanted to go into assisted living of her own volition.

In my mother's and my grandmother's cases this was not true. They both seemed to be unaware of the dementia that was slowly overcoming them. Each case is different.

My father has opted to keep my mother out of a nursing home, and she seems to be better for it. He has a caregiver to help him. He is locked into taking care of mom, and I can't get him to leave the house for more than a hour or so.

Away From Her

View my Photos
beagle

2008-01-09          150085

We are now our parents parent's.

Good Luck Dennis. My mother in-law has no idea what is happening to her. ....

Away From Her

View my Photos
kthompson

2008-01-09          150103

Beagle, you are in a very hard postion. May God give you the grace and wisdom you need. kt ....

Away From Her

View my Photos
auerbach

2008-01-09          150109

This was the last place I expected a blog on this topic, but my wife's mom, now in her 90th year, is acutely affected, and it's helpful to know we're not alone. ....

Away From Her

View my Photos
kwschumm

2008-01-09          150110

My 85 year old mother is in the same boat. Fortunately she is not turning mean like so many others do. Right now she is in an assisted living facility but will probably have to move to a full care nursing home this year. She is in another state and I'm fortunate to have brothers in her area that take very good care of her. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login