Go Bottom

New utility vehicle

View my Photos
darylh1
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-08-13          61731

I am in the market for an new Gator-Mule-Ranger and would like to hear opinions about each from some people that use them. Such as strong points, weak points of each and what about the ground clearance issue. How much better is one over the other in the field not just on paper?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

New utility vehicle

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-08-13          61741

You should look at the Cub Cadet unit. It was originally built by Howard Price Company and it is built! The powers of Cadet picked it up while Deere was sueing them for Patent infringement and they were going to drop the line as sales were slow. They started at 10,100. Cadet made no changes except cost to build and dropped their price to be in line with the rest. Deere lost that law suit too! Now they have someone selling it that should make a big dent in the gators sales. The green fathers goofed good this time. The Mule is built well and Kubota will be introducing there new unit this October at the dealer meeting. ....

New utility vehicle

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-08-13          61744

I guess this thread was posted in two different sections so I will cut and paste what I posted to here as well since it does have some comments about the Mule.

I can't tell you how the other brands stack up as compared to a Gator but I can tell you how well these units hold up. I recently retired from the military but while I was in, I worked very closely with the John Deere government sales rep. The 101st, 5th Special Forces, and 160th SOAR used the diesel gators extensively. In Afghanistan, Iraq, and "other" places. In particular instance the Special Forces purchased and deployed a number of new diesel gators to Afghanistan. When they returned with the equipment, they put in a work order to service and repair their gators. Most of the gators had over 500 hours from the this deployment, one gator in particular had over 850 hours. The mechanics doing the work noticed that all the factory filters were still installed and asked if the gators had ever been serviced while deployed. To their shock and disbelief, they had not been due to the extreme remote location and unavailability of parts. In a nut shell, the gators went between 500 - 850 hours with the factory break-in oil and no filter changes. The mechanics did a FULL service to include replacing the tires as they were nearly balled and the units were returned to service with no problems. In my experience in the field, soldiers can tear up a solid tungsten ball with a balsa wood hammer. These pieces of equipment stood up to it. I have used the Kawasaki Mules while deployed in Honduras. They were real handy, realiable, and FAST. Depending on the use you had in mind, I don't think you would go wrong with either. I don't have much if any experience with other models and brands. I'm sure some of the other members will jump in with their experiences and perceptions.

New utility vehicle

View my Photos
darylh1

2003-08-13          61748

Thanks again. ....

New utility vehicle

View my Photos
darylh1

2003-08-13          61750

I have looked at the Cub Cadet but that G#$ awful yellow color I can't seem to get around. I have never heard they come in any other color. Do you know if they make a diesel version of it? ....

New utility vehicle

View my Photos
John in Colorado

2003-08-19          62200

I have been using a diesel mule for most of this year. It starts well and pulls well. Here are the downsides I've found:

1) Low ground clearance relative to other ATVs - could be corrected somewhat with taller tires.

2) Very poor quality and fit on the plastic parts - the lid to the front storage compartment is so flimsy it requires being on both sides at once to push the plastic in to get it to close. Even then, the fir is poor. The plastic air filter cover fell off when a small stick hit it. I had to rig up a metal braket to hold it in place. The mud flaps fell off after a few hours of use.

Good luck:

John ....

New utility vehicle

View my Photos
Art White

2003-08-19          62203

Cadet does have a camo unit available. ....

New utility vehicle

View my Photos
darylh1

2003-08-20          62226

Thanks for the Information. Maybe I need to take a closer look a the Cub Cadet. I also heard that John Deere will be coming out soon with a new utility vehicle in the spring. Anyone heard this? I can't seem to find any information about it on the web. ....

New utility vehicle

View my Photos
AV8R

2005-12-30          122007

Wow, all the way back to 2003 to spam the site. That's commendable. ....

New utility vehicle

View my Photos
Chief

2005-12-30          122009

Good eye AV8R! That has got to be one of the most noteworthy and standout acts of SPAM I have seen in a long time myself! ;O) ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login