Go Bottom

Mule transmission noise

View my Photos
Roger N
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-09-07          63337

In 4wd, my 2510 mule transmission makes a snapping sound every 50 feet or so. Sounds like a gear skipping. Any sugestions?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Mule transmission noise

View my Photos
TomG

2003-09-08          63345

I'll likely be little help since I don't the front drive design.

I wonder if you know whether the front drive is actually driving? Sometimes it can be a little hard to know. I finally put my loader bucket against a tree and idled it in low gear to confirm that my front drive was toast. One rear tire spinning and no front one spinning made the diagnosis certain. It also would be good to know if the snapping is more prevalent during certain types of operation--heavy loads, different surfaces, up or down hill etc. ....

Mule transmission noise

View my Photos
sricks

2005-03-01          107054

My 3010 recently started doing the same thing. Have not had a chance to work on it yet, but I think it has something to do with the front will drive. Most likely the "dogs" on the engage clutch. Let me know if you find anything out - I will do the same.

Thanks

Scott ....

Mule transmission noise

View my Photos
ncrunch32
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-03-06          107357

Actually I was looking at a mule 610 yesterday and the dealer mechanic told me not to use 4wd on a mule unless required for traction because it makes a snapping noise when you engage 4wd on firm dry ground. He said the reason was that the front wheels and rear wheels don't turn at precisely the same rate and the mule transmission is designed to compensate through some sort of release action - thereby resulting in a snapping sound. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login