Go Bottom

Quick Which tc24da would you choose

View my Photos
dholly
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-03-03          107225

1.) 2004 tc24da w/ 12la FEL, 60" MMM sd 914a w/ loaded R4s, rear hydraulics single remote kit, grill guard, block heater, rear light and armrests. NEW -0- hrs. $17,730 - incs freight, setup, delivery, full tank of fuel. Pickup & Delivery at dealer expense for warranty items during warranty period. For 50hr service, dealer will send tech to perform on-site service, only customer expense is cost of filters.

2.) 2004 tc24da w/ 12la FEL, 60" MMM sd 914a w/ loaded R4s, rear hydraulics single remote kit, grill guard, block heater, rear light and armrests. USED -110- hrs. sold new by dealer one year ago and rec'd on trade-up to tc33 in Dec. Loader NEVER used, all mowing hrs. Dealer will install all items to make my desired configuration and sell for $14,500. Balance of warranty applies, dealer did 50hr and will include 100hr service as part of pre-delivery prep. All pickup and delivery during warranty period covered by dealer. Don't know if it was stored indoors by original owner (forgot to ask, sounded like there was a good chance that it was), but it has been out on dealer lot since trade-in in the winter elements, etc. $14,500 (pic attached).

Which would you buy?

Picture Link

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
treeman
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-03-03          107228

Look the used one over good. Look under the mower and mower wheels for abuse. If it looks like a new one...buy it. If it definitly looks used....buy the new one. Be sure to drive both of them too. ....

View my Photos
RodgerF

2005-03-03          107229

Doesn't the tc24 carry 0% for 4 years right now? If your financing either tractor, run the numbers to see which one ends up the better deal. You may end up buying new for $1500 or so more.

Rodger ....

View my Photos
dholly

2005-03-04          107249

Yes, 0%/48 mo. or $600 cash back thru 3/31. If I were to pay cash for the new deal, my net cost is $17,130. Therefore, the used tc24da represents a $2,630 savings over new. And that goes a long ways to paying for a rear blower.

The way I see it, I would need to earn 4.5% on $14.5k principal annually for four years to equal the $2,630 savings if I bought the used by writing a check now. Money market rates aren't likely to see that level anytime soon and, of course, market return is always a coin toss in the short run.

Now if I pay as I go, I am not earning anything as I won't have any principal invested. Again, there's a cost but since I can't predict interest rates or market return I can't quantify it. If I do leave a like amount of principal invested and earn something, anything, at least I have the remaining principal working as I draw it down. On paper that wins, but, I'm kinda cash poor right now so to do that would have to come at the expense of paying down the new house mortgage.

So I'm thinking the best compromise here is to buy new with the 0%/48mo. and throw the like principal amount against the 5-1/2% mortgage. That's the equivalent of a guaranteed 'return', IMO. If I can't be guaranteed at least that from the bank or market on a principal balance as it's drawn down, leaving the $ in the bank and drawing it down is the same as a net loss.

Not too often you can justify spending so much more on new vs. a good used bargain to the wifey, eh? ....

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2005-03-05          107311

Make sure your not getting caught up in the heat of the moment. Dont buy it if it is not as big as you really need for your plans. That is the important part.In short make sure its the tractor you really want/need. Also I am a big time believer in paying down the mortgage. The house is your lifeline. If something happens to you they can take back or you can sell the tractor. Pay down the house and finance the rig especially if its free money. Thats my opinion and may not be everyones. A divorce will cost you more than anything is worth so make sure your sweetie likes it also. LOL
Good luck! ....

View my Photos
dholly

2005-03-05          107319

Wise words indeed. Now it may be interesting to note that I do have the boss's blessing, as my wife just got her new dream home after a 4-year search. Figured I'd strike while the iron was hot, hehe! Here's my story:

We have about 5.5ac. of slightly rolling terrain to deal with, about 3.5ac. of which is finish mowable. My old green GT275 w/ 48" deck is in the garage looking at me with a 'you gotta be crazy' look in it's eye. The balance of the property is pretty dense hardwoods. The woods are in serious need of cleanup, many downed, etc., lots of firewood to gather.

One slated project; I want to make a nice, meandering, grass walking trail thru the woods around the far property line to enjoy the setting. Also, we have 3 black labs and I am quite certain they would love me to extend their Invisable Fence along the pathway so they can play in the woods. Yes, they are spoiled rotten!

The drive is 500' of blacktop, with a couple of 'woop-de-dos' just big enough to cause trouble if it's not kept clear. We found out with the latest snow storms that it is prone to drifting. So, 4wd, FEL, backblade and 60" MMM sound like just the ticket. The ROPS will clear most of the trees along the drive and in the yard.

I probably could have settled for a subCUT like the tz, but I need ground clearance for the in woods, a stronger FEL, and the ability to run a decent size rotary cutter and box blade. I also have a cabin and 400ac. in the hills an hour away with fields I'd like to knock down and some old logging roads I want to maintain. This size tractor is not too big to trailer up and back when I need it, yet can still pull a good size implement.

So I'm thinking the tc24da really is the perfect size for me. I've owned blue before with good luck and, of course, the 0%/48 mo. NH financing is icing on the cake after just writing the big check for the new house. It's still a lot of $ for me, but you can see I'm doing my darnedest to justify a new tractor! ....

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2005-03-06          107372

That was a funny post!!! I was actually LOL. I hear what your saying!!! Thats great you have her blessings! I have a few suggestions. Of course this is just my opinion and am not trying to sound like I am spending your money.
1) A few facts first. You have 400 acres an hour away.
2) you have rolling terrain
3) you want to make a walking trail IN A WOODS! (hint key)

First of all if you have 400 acres only 1 hour away,?? you can use a larger tractor!!!. Not saying you HAVE to have one but you can definately JUSTIFY it. You have rolling terrain, this is also a good reason to go large.
You want to make a walking path thru your dense woods! This is a problem. You talk about a grass walking path thru your dense woods. That will not happen. If its dense you need atleast a 30' wide area for enough sun to penatrate the floor to get a good grass cover (probably more than 30' to be honest) Other wise your going to have a muddy mess. The option here that I see is this. You have alot of trees you want to cut up for firewood. You said they were hardwoods? You have a great oportunity here. Lumber large enough for the fire wood you save, all the tops and the small limbs you can chip and chip right on to the trail!!! This would be ideal for what your planned use would be with out clearing enough area for grass to grow thick enough to cover the trail. This also would give you a trail covering for the trail in the spring when the snow melts instead of having a muddy mess.
Buy your self a large chipper and justify it with your trail system! This also gets you the larger tractor LOL
My suggestion is to get atleast a tc29 and if you can afford it go to the tc33. 400+ acres and someday your going to wish you had a larger rig, maybe sooner than later. Of course like someone once said here," Any tractor and fel is better than a shovel and wheel burrow)
Which by the way I agree with 100%
See how happy the bride really is and take her tractor shopping. Pitch you sales line to her while there and tell her some real good reasons for going large! LOL
Bottom line though is that anything is better than nothing. Just dont short yourself with horse power or weight.
To end my post I will tell you a very short story. I started out looking at the TC29. The guys here talked me into the tc33. I looked at them and said to mysel," The tc 35 is the larger frame? Hmmm" I decided on the TC35, then I said, "ya know for the lousey $900 more I can get a TC40 and that has 4 cyl". (poor excuse eh?) I bought the TC 40. Guess what? I wish I had the TC 48!!! I could use it very much having more power and weight. The guys here saved me from a fate worse than death, buying too small a tractor and one with out a fel!!!! YES I was not going to get one untill the guys here told me I was NUTZ!!!
They were right as always. ....

View my Photos
kskwash

2005-03-06          107381

I agree with the others. Don't short your self on hp if you can afford it. Think of the jobs that you have ahead of you, and not just what are doing right now. What are you going to do with the 400 acres ? I just bought a TC30 this week, and I understand what you are saying about making the payments, but if you short your self now, what is it going to cost you later. Run the numbers and see how it comes out. Just a thought. ....

View my Photos
dholly

2005-03-06          107382

Well now, it won't be very manly of me to NOT want a bigger tractor now would it? LOL, I'm as normal as anyone else here in that regard I suspect, but at the moment it just isn't in the cards cash wise.

Big reason (besides a new house!) is I am also putting up a second 36'x36' carriage stye garage/shop at the new house which is a heck of a lot more expensive than a pole barn. If the 0%/48mo. extended past the tc24, I might otherwise be tempted but, for now, this will have to do. Believe me, I was in full sales mode, fast talking just to get her to agree to plopping that shop right next to her fancy new house instead of a inground pool! Bottom line is I hate debt and I got plenty already, 'enuf said.

Besides, I'm not looking to make a whole lot of work, I hardly have enough time to goof off myself or play with the kids as it is. At the cabin, about 3/4 of the 400ac. is hardwoods, and much of that is on a hillside. It was logged about 35yrs ago and the old logging roads are still good enough to get up and down with an ATV or 4x4 pickup as is, we clear them for hunting every year, but the erosion ruts are getting pretty deep in places. Between that and a bit of field cutting, I'm mostly just futzin' around, nothing serious.

Now if the shade seed mix won't work, I will surely remember your chipping suggestion. I just happen to have one in the garage, although I do like to leave some top piles around to promote the pheasant and grouse, etc. Big turkey comeback over the past few years too, saw about 20 today! ....

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2005-03-06          107392

I could be wrong, but in that shade seed mix look to see how much is perenial and how much is annual. You may be disapointed. One problem with trying to get a turf like grass to grow in a woods is the PH of the ground. With all that is going on in a harwood forrest chances are the ph will be about 4-5. Im not trying to sound like a downer but i feel your going to be hard pressed to get any kind of grass seed to grow on a trail thru the woods unless it get good sun light and the ph is brought up a bit. I have good growth on my trails but not grass. When its not a grass growing you dont get a good root base that keeps the stuff together thus what does grow on trails is usually tall but sparse and a turf will not form. I am not from your area though and may be way off base talking to you about someplace I dont have a bit of knowlege about.
Maybe in upstate ny you dont have ph problems.
Anyway good. ....

View my Photos
dholly

2005-03-06          107397

You make a good point about PH, thanks. We'll see I guess, but I am optimistic because at our old house only a mile or so up the road, the neighbor fared pretty well doing the same thing. Looked really nice after a few years, that's why I decided to give it a shot here. ....

View my Photos
jwngej
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-03-06          107405

I'm still laughing. one of those bigger is better, kinda like when it comes to shoes, an 11 fits, but a 12 feels so good, I buy a 13.. JohnJ ....

View my Photos
dholly

2005-03-06          107406

Lol, when I first told the wife I wanted a big tractor, you could see the wheels turning as she envisioned, I'm sure, some huge monstrosity of manly overkill. She started giggling and accused me of "little man's disease". You know... big tractor, little pecker. Hell, I'll be damned if I was going to play right into her hand! ....

View my Photos
dholly

2005-03-16          108119

Well, I figured I would give you guys a quick update since you were considerate enough to give me your .02 and time.

The only local blue dealer wouldn't deal. In fact, gave me the highest initial quote I received out of a dozen! Sure they came down when presented with the competing written quotes, but hardly enough to sneeze at. Sorry, I take their 'take it or leave it' attitude as a personal afront, as I had previously purchased a 1620 w/ FEL from them.

In the end, after telling them in no uncertain terms what I thought of their silly high prices and lack of customer saavy, I felt too uncomfortable being in a position to potentially have to rely on them for parts or service. I just didn't want to end up posting another 'horror' story about how the dealer gleefully got his last laugh by sitting on my tractor's warranty work wqhile it rusted out on his lot. So, I got a new tractor coming, but it's going to be orange not blue.

After much soul searching on needs vs. desires, dealer consideration, trips to test work the prospects etc., I went with a B7610HSD (new in crate), 352 FEL w/ grill guard, RCK 60" MMM, R4s, weight box, block heater, arm rests, back light, 50 hr filters/fluids, pickup & dlv for 3 yr warranty period and the hat... $15,600 no tax. Based on out-of-town quotes, I paid a couple hundred extra to keep the selling dealer within 20mins, certainly worth it IMO. Plus, there's even a 2nd Kubota dealer within 5 mins. for emergency parts, etc. if the need arises.

So, thanks again! See ya over on the Kubota boards...

Picture Link

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2005-03-17          108177

They dont deliver it in the crate like that to your house do they?
Congrats on your new tractor. good luck ....

View my Photos
dholly

2005-03-17          108191

Nah, it was crate shipped from the assembly plant in Georgia to the dealer - the local dealer does the final assembly. I was told final assembly including FEL and MMM install, testing etc. would be about a 7hr process. Would be interesting to watch if possible. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login