Go Bottom

TC33 vs TC40

View my Photos
demcoed
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-02-13          124454

I am in the process of buying an new tractor and would like to know what others feel are the pro and con on either tractor. I plan on buying 4 acres of bare ground and will develope this with a new house, 50x60 shed, a new grove that will be kept black (tilled) for the first several years. I plan on doing alot of landscaping and once the develpement is done, it will be used mostly for mowing with a rear mount mower.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

TC33 vs TC40

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2006-02-13          124460

4 Acres ? No chance of buy more land? Mowing involved intensly in the future? I would go TC33 hands down no questions asked especially for what you stated the uses would be for.
I own the TC40, its a large machine and for 4 acres it may be over kill. MAY BE is the key words. There may be other things to consider, where you plan on storing the tractor and make sure it will fit in that place.
The TC33 was on my list and untill the last moment (with dealer input) he talked me into the Larger machine. (ALONG WITH) help from this board! I have 160 acres. almost 20 acres under plow (but 10 of those acres I let a farmer down the road use). I am very very happy with the TC40 but I do feel the TC33 is more than large enough for your question. Unless you plan on larger scale uses for it and less mowing (I assumed your talking finish mowing)
Good luck, keep us posted ....

TC33 vs TC40

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-02-13          124461

The 40 would be best now with the house project with the larger scale of soil movement. Later after the construction work is done the 33 would be more then enough and more manuveable for mowing. ....

TC33 vs TC40

View my Photos
holstein05
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-02-16          124672

I am actually in the same boat as demcoed. TC33 or TC40? And I have decided that I think I will go with the TC40. Here are my reasons: #1 is Frame size. Just walk around the two machines. I would never forgive myself for getting a tractor that is too small to pull a pickup out of the mud or help a car out of a ditch for example. #2 is the loader capability. The maximum lift capacity of the 15LA loader (for the TC33) is about 1582 lbs, vs the 16LA (TC40) at about 2320 lbs. So, if ever you want to move heavier stuff, this little extra might matter. And while we are on hydraulic capabilities, look also at the 3 pt hitch numbers: (1635 lbs vs 2330 lbs) That's the difference in effectivly moving something heavy on the back, vs barely getting it off the ground. #3 is just the simple HP reasons. Drop a small plow or tiller in the ground, and that little extra is gonna go a long way.

Yes, I know I can't fully justify the TC40, but imagine the regret I would have for not being able to do one of my small jobs due to the tractor not having quite enough umph.

I will say this in defense of the TC33... great tractor. I really like it, and deciding to go up a notch was tough. Perhaps I will regret the bigger machine, but gotta go with my gut!

Just my situation and feelings about it. ....

TC33 vs TC40

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-02-16          124679

Those are good reasons to go bigger. Price, manueverability, towability, implement prices and storage are good reasons to go smaller. My JD is about the same size as a TC33 and if it were any bigger I'd never be able to get in and around in the woods. ....

TC33 vs TC40

View my Photos
holstein05

2006-02-16          124681

I agree with that completely... Number of trees should be a big factor for sure... ....

TC33 vs TC40

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-02-17          124697

That sounds like the lift capacity with the old 7308 (IIRC) loader. I believe the newer machines have an upgraded front axle and lift more with the new curved arm loader. ....

TC33 vs TC40

View my Photos
yooperpete

2006-02-17          124700

Woops! I deleted my statement rather than replied. The numbers I stated; 878 lbs. and 1386 lbs. are for the Case DX33 and DX35 respectively. That came from a 2004 catalog specifying LX114 and LX116 loaders. The higher numbers mentioned may be at the king pins which is not realistic. A neighbor of mine has the DX33 and is not happy with the lift capacity and tiny front tires of the 33. Lifting heavy loads way out in front of the tractor is more difficult (either requires larger cylinders or higher psi) and requires more rear ballast.

Ken: according to the JD book your 430 loader has a 1261 lb. lift capacity at the pivot pin which would be actually less at the bucket. ....

TC33 vs TC40

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-02-17          124702

Marketing of performance specs is intended to create confusion. The 430 loader has done everything I've needed, even with the 600 lb. grapple installed. That's the bottom line I guess. ....

TC33 vs TC40

View my Photos
holstein05

2006-02-17          124704

Demcoed, you must really be getting confused now!

TC33 vs TC40

View my Photos
DK35vince

2006-02-17          124706

I will throw in my opinion.
I feel the TC 40 will be overkill once the landscaping is done.
For the intendend uses and being used on 4 acres I vote TC 33. The 33 should handle the landscaping just fine and will be a better sized machine for maintaining 4 acres once the grunt work is done..
My 2 cents worth..

TC33 vs TC40

View my Photos
yooperpete

2006-02-17          124710

I didn't mean to say that the TC40 is the best machine. It is too big for me! I'm trying to point out that the TC33 is a little smaller in lift capacity than it appears.

That is why I stick with my Cub Cadet. It is smaller in HP but is about the size of the 33 and has fat/wide front tires and the downward loader beam almost touches the front tires. It has a slightly higher lift capacity than the 33. I wish it would lift another 200 lbs., at times like when moving larger landscaping boulders. I think all the manufacturers are missing it, because it seems to me that everyone is torn with the same issue. The TC33 is a little small for some tasks and the TC40 is too big. Same goes for all the different makes. My tractor is 10 almost 11 years old and I'm sticking with it! ....

TC33 vs TC40

View my Photos
demcoed

2006-02-17          124721

not really,,, I am enjoying the discussion alot. I learned a long time ago to listen more and talk less, thats why I haven't said much as of yet. I am still wondering about the controls on the tc33. I think I like the pysical size of the 33 better, but the pedal arrangment on the 40 looks more user friendly in my opinion. I also like the idea of the two speed switch for the hydro on the joystick. Any comments along that line???? ....

TC33 vs TC40

View my Photos
Newbie1963

2006-02-17          124738

What's a "good" price on a new TC33 with a FEL? I'm test driving one tomorrow. Any one have any thoughts/input? ....

TC33 vs TC40

View my Photos
holstein05

2006-02-17          124741

That is a hard question to answer. A good price on a basic TC33 Gear transmission would be around 16K... but then add Hydro transmission it would go up, and then add SuperSteer and it goes up. I priced a new loader today and the 16LA was $4777. The 15LA which is what goes on the TC33, would probably be a little cheaper.
Every TC33 I have priced with a loader has come in right at 20. I suspect there is a little break on the loader price when ya buy the tractor at the same time. ....

TC33 vs TC40

View my Photos
drcjv.

2006-02-28          125283

Demcoed I have a similar property size and use you discribe.I bought a TC33D 4 years ago and have never regreted it. There have been many more times I have benifited by its smaller size and manuverability than suffered from it. Its size has never been an issue. Rememmber you'll have this tractor for a long time. I think a 40 for 4 acres is overkill. ....

TC33 vs TC40

View my Photos
earthwrks

2006-03-12          125981

What about Super Steer? Gotta have that when you're working in close quarters--especially when negotiating trees for mowing. I have it on my 33D and wouldn't use anything else. ....

TC33 vs TC40

View my Photos
oneace

2006-03-12          125982

Hey earthwrks i got your email the other day but I keep getting my reply back undelivered. Do you have a new e-mail? ....

TC33 vs TC40

View my Photos
TractorKreg

2006-03-13          126035

I also have 4 acres. I wanted lifting capacity over 1000 lbs. I just bought the TC35A. I love it. I have had no issues manuevering around my trees and I have the power I wanted. ....

TC33 vs TC40

View my Photos
dieselpusher

2006-03-28          126812

My DX33 lifted 15 94# bags of cement off the flatbed truck one day. Thats 1410#s in the bucket. With filled rear tires and a 450# box blade,it felt light in rear. Could have lifted a couple more, but they were stacked to the limit. My BX2200 was rated around 450# lift and it would lift 750#s up to chest high. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login