Go Bottom

My first tractor - NEED ADVICE

View my Photos
Newbie1963
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-02-15          124563

Hello,

I’m new to this forum and I’m looking for advice. I’m shopping for my first tractor. I live on 26 acres in SW Virginia. My land is mostly wooded but I have some finished lawn and some horse pasture. (No horses and no plans to get horses.) I’ll use the tractor mostly on weekends.

My needs are:
-Maintain gravel driveway (~200 yards; moderate incline)
-Light logging (steep terrain)
-Maintain front yard (1.5 acres)
-Maintain pasture (3 acres)
-Maintain hiking trails (old logging roads on moderate/steep terrain)
-Landscaping around house (level to moderate grade)

My basic needs include 4-wheel drive and a front-end loader.

Based on these needs, which Make/Model(s) would you recommend? Also, which implements and accessories should I look for?

There’s a New Holland dealer near me who seems pretty straight, although I’ve never bought anything from him before. Because he’s the closest tractor dealership of any kind I’ve been looking at the NH TC30 – he’s asking $15,500 with the FEL - and the TC29 – he’s asking $17,850 with the FEL.

Any feedback on these models or prices? Besides the NH, I'd also consider Kubota or JD.

Also, I'm leaning towards New instead of Used mainly because I want the warranty. I hate to spend the extra $ for New, but I know enough to know that I don't know jack about tractor maintenance.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
mcos38

2006-02-15          124567

That price seems pretty good on the tc30 I was quoted 17000 for same tractor.Buying used doesn't seem to be worth much unless you find that great deal or buy outright with cash.0%for 3 years is pretty nice.Good luck ....

View my Photos
SG8NUC
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-02-15          124568

As far as I can see you have alreay done the smart thing when you went to see the dealer. Ask around about his after sale service, what he can provide for you for buying his equipment. Warranty is not worth a nickle if he does not have good maintenance tech. It is worth it to check out different dealers for better deals and better service. If in doubt more horse power is always better than not enought. Does the dealer carry parts. And trust me you will learn how to work on tractors if you buy one and this site will be a great help. ....

View my Photos
BillMullens
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-02-16          124607

Newbie,
I'm in central WV. Bought a TC29 over five years ago, and have had good experiences with it. It has about 600 hours or so on it. It is big enough to handle a 5' brush hog, 5' finish mower or a 6' box blade. Also plow, disc and till with it and occasionally use it with a 3-point hitch (3ph) backhoe.

I don't have a FEL; paid about $13500 for the new tractor. Mine is the S model with standard transmission. I saw some better deals on the internet, but went with the local dealer (which was still 90 minutes away).

Good luck with your tractor purchase, and be careful with that logging. Lots of people hurt that way.

Bill ....

View my Photos
Newbie1963

2006-02-16          124661

Thanks to everyone for your advice. I really appreciate your time and feedback. I’m going to out this weekend to test drive the TC30, the TC29, and comparable Kubutos. (Although I’m leaning towards the TC29.)

Bill: Great pictures! I’m curious…Were you able to get your TC29 out of that mud pit under its own power? Or did you need a tow?

View my Photos
BillMullens

2006-02-16          124673

Heh,heh,heh...I'd forgotten about that pic.

It would still move forward a bit at that point but was mostly going "down".

My neighbor heard the commotion and pulled me out with his old Ferguson.

Good luck,
Bill ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login