Go Bottom

Looking to buy a 1720 Ford Holland

View my Photos
migman
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2010-11-19          175248

I am suppose to go lok at a tractor tomorrow and was hoping I could get some info here. Looking to see if this is a solid tractor and if the prive is right.
Specs: 1991 New Holland 1720, approx 900 HRS,
attachments: FEL (with down pressure), rototiller, back blade rear forks, and a "Ripper" not sure what that is. I can only assume a cultivator of some kind.
He says the tractor is in good/great working order.
He is asking $9,500.
Is this a good price? And what should I look for when I go out there?
Oh and he said the tires have weighting in them...?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-11-19          175255

All depends on the condition. But you don't say if it's 2wd (which it probably is being it has rear weights), and what HP.

If it's 2wd I'd stay away no matter the deal.

Take a pix of it, go to a dealer and show it to them and ask what a trad-in value would be. Add $1000 and that's the price within $1000 each way.

Or subtract the retail value of the used accessories and attachments--roughly 1/3 to a little less than half of new. Total that up and subtract that from the selling price of the whole deal and that's what you're paying for the tractor bare bones. ....

View my Photos
candoarms
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-11-20          175257

Migman,

I agree with Earthwrks. Stay away from any 2-wheel drive compact tractor. You'll use the 4x4 drive way more often than you might think.

tractorhouse.com shows about a dozen 1720s for sale. Check out the hours and options and then make a comparison of the tractor you're looking at. That will help get you into the ballpark as far as a fair asking price goes.

Click on the following link.

I hope this helps.

Joel ....

Link:   TractorHouse.com Ford 1720

View my Photos
auerbach

2010-11-20          175258

Insist on 4WD if there's a front loader or the likelihood of traction problems.

If you google the tractor you'll come up with all sorts of references, including a way to confirm the year by the serial.

I've not heard of any problems with that model, but the big questions in used tractors are their condition and the warranty, and those can't be advised at a distance. ....

View my Photos
migman

2010-11-20          175265

sorry about that. I thought I included all the info. It is 28 horse, 4 wheel drive. its been stored either in a shop or under an overhang since he bought it new. The rototiller, and backblade are 2 years old. I checked out some of the links, and it looks like $9,000 seems to be a fair price. What do you think? ....

View my Photos
candoarms

2010-11-20          175280

Migman,

If the seller can produce even a crude service record showing the maintenance items performed at particular service intervals, I believe you've found yourself a very good deal.

No matter which tractor you end up, be sure to keep a record of all of your maintenance work.....part numbers, date of service, tractor hours, prices, etc. It will be a big benefit to you when it comes time to sell the tractor to the next buyer.

Joel ....

View my Photos
migman

2010-12-24          175934

Thanks for the information everyone. I went ahead and bought the tractor. I have been very happy with it. Turns out the owner owns his own engine shop. Had all the service and lubrication schedules filled out.
Thanks again. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login