Go Bottom

New Holland TC31DA Tractor will not start

View my Photos
AbbasChild
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2012-01-21          182136

Hi!

I'm having starting problems with my NH T2210 (aka TC31DA). Any help would be appreciated--I have not had to trouble shoot this before. I have read most of the old posts regarding starting and need some more direction.

When I turn the ignition key to "on", all of the dash lights come on, the glow plug indicator lights and goes out. There is a faint click when I first turn the key and when the glow plug goes out--I figure it was the glow plug relay. How do I know if the pinion/solenoid is working vs. the starter motor? When the key is turned to "crank" nothing happens--except my heart sinks. The battery was reading 13V at rest; I jumped it to my car and was getting 15V at the battery terminals. Still nothing on cranking the key. I checked the fuses and they are OK.

We had weird weather here--52 one day and 5 over night; things got damp then a quick freeze. I read something about water getting in the starter selenoid--how common is that?

I have read about directly jumping the starter (to by pass the safety switches which may be stuck open) but I am a bit hesitant to do that without a little more direction or clarification of what that means. The solenoid has a plastic cover--which I can remove, then a second cover that I cannot remove. I can get to the "S" terminal but cannot see it. If I do try jumping terminal "S" to terminal "B" (as was described by Greg in an older post) do all of the wires need to remain connected? (because I cannot get to "S" without pulling the wire off.) Will a piece of 10G copper wire touched to the terminals work well nough? Or am I going to blow something else out? Is this the only way to troubleshoot (bypass) or test the safety switches? Before I go pulling the starter out, I wanted to rule out the "easy" stuff. Sorry this is so wordy. Thanks for any thoughts.

Mike

P.S. Sorry this is in "Member Photos FOrum", that is that only place I could find to start a new post.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
auerbach
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2012-01-21          182139

It's likely something simple like a bad ground on the key-switch. Don't know your model; here's general advice.

Find out where the motor-start safety cutoffs are (clutch pedal? seat? transmission?) and check or bypass them.

Buy a remote starter. Forgot the proper name but costs about $10, and not the kind to start your car from inside the house. Just a small box with a button on it and two long wires each ending in an alligator. One clips to the battery positive. The other goes on the starter terminal, so find out where that is. With you in the seat, clutch down, someone presses the button. That bypasses your starting circuit, so if you get spinning you know where to troubleshoot. ....

View my Photos
earthwks

2012-01-21          182141

I have a 2002 TC33D with the same issue. What I did was replace the ignition switch with an aftermarket one, ran a separate switch for the glow plugs and ran a secondary switch for the starter solenoid. I got tired of replacing $75 OEM switches which either wear out due to dirt getting inside or they melt down. Good luck coming up with OE parts that offer reliable starting. ....

View my Photos
AbbasChild

2012-01-22          182143

Hi Guys!
Thanks for the advise-- ended up pulling out all the safety switches and testing them with ohm-meter. At first I did not recognize the rear-PTO and range safety switches--they are actually screwed into the side of the transmission. When I went to remove the rear-PTO switch, one of the wire terminals fell apart. I pushed it back together and it fired right up!

I am glad it was so simple (but I feel stupid!)--but think of all the experience I have now! :) I will invest in one of those push button starters though.

Thanks again!
Mike ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login