Go Bottom

New Holland 1725 Looses Power

View my Photos
dwuertz
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-01-10          47281

Question: What is causing my tractor to all of a sudden bog down as if it doesn't have any power? Driving in a middle gear seems to require more RPM than before. Driving up a hill causes it to really bog down when it didn't do this before.

Could this be a clutch problem?

Please advise.
Thanks
Dave

The problem was fixed by changing the fuel and air filters.
Thanks!!!
Dave

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
slowrev

2003-01-10          47283

If the engine is bogging down, I do not believe it is a clutch problem. If the clutch was slipping the tractor would slow down but the engine speed up. Sounds like an engine performance issue, or maybe something binding up in the drive train. I would suspect an engine issue first.

View my Photos
maintenance

2003-01-10          47286

Does the engine run fine with the tractor stationary? Are the brakes hanging up? Try jacking it up and spinning each wheel by hand (with it in neutral). In NH sometimes the cold weather/ice/snow freezes the linkage just enough.
Rule out the easy things first.
Peter-NH ....

View my Photos
TomG

2003-01-11          47332

From the description, I'm not certain if the power suddenly dropped off and stayed or if it's surging. How the engine sounds and whether there's abnormal exhaust also would be useful info. If there's smoke what colour is it? More questions: If it's cold there, where did the fuel come from, how is it stored and is a fuel additive used?

Off hand, it sounds like a fuel problem. I'd probably change the fuel filter and check for line obstructions and bleed the lines and pump. If there's any change the fuel has clouded (the beginnings of gelling) or is contaminated with water etc. I'd start over with good fuel and a change filter. Fuel clouding is caused by wax particles due to cold weather. The particles can slowly clog a filter.

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-01-11          47340

I am with Tom I would check the fuel filters on the tractor. Check the main and in the tank filter. Over time the dirt can build up on the pick up screen in the tank.
A fuel pump is designed for positive pressure of the high pressure injector system. The pump may not deal with negative pressure on the pump.
When my filter was plugged the difference in the amount of diesel in the tank would affect the performance.
Peters ....

View my Photos
dwuertz

2003-01-11          47350

Thank you all for your suggestions.

The engine runs fine with the tractor stationary.

The brakes work fine. They completely stop the tractor when moving. Both left and right rear break work fine. In addition, it isn't that cold here. It's in the 40's, so I ice isn't a problem.

The tractor behaves the same in both 4WD and 2WD.

The engine sounds fine. It runs smooth after it has warmed up. It runs smooth when driving on flat ground, except that the RPM seems to be running higher for the same speed.

Exhaust seems to be normal. There is smoke when it is warming up and it appears to be a light blue.

The fuel isn't that old, and I didn't use an additive. I will try replacing the fuel filters and also replace the fuel in the tank with new fuel.

View my Photos
marklugo
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-01-11          47354

Filters generally should be changed every season. Lower use tractors included. Much condensation occurs and causes problems in the fuel.

View my Photos
larry

2003-01-12          47382

What about the AIR filter??? ....

View my Photos
TomG

2003-01-12          47385

Peters mentioned a screen inside the tank. Quite a few tractors have them and that's something to check. I don't know about 1725's but I don't think my 1710 has a screen. Checking the tank cap is something else to check. A clogged vent would cause gradual loss of power. I'd run it for awhile and then loosen the cap and see if anything changes.

The fuel lines and pump might be bled and checked for leaks unless 1725's are self-bleeding. However, air in the lines usually makes for hard starting, missing and considerable exhaust smoke.

Another check is the max no-load rpm and whether the pump shaft has good movement when the hand throttle is moved. Max no-load is 2850 rpm for my 1710. There's more to diagnosing if a tractor is getting full fuel delivery and throttle but it definitely isn't if the no-load rpm can't be adjusted. In this context, I wonder how the engine behaves when driving and the engine is to operating temp and the foot throttle is stepped on. I get acceleration and a puff of gray smoke until the engine comes up to the new rpm.

Air filters also are good things to check and change regularly. I stepped on one I changed and was amazed how much sand was in the pleats that I couldn't see or blow out before I stepped on it. Seriously clogged ones usually produce black exhaust.

The question about brakes is whether they release rather than if they work. An almost identical problem discussed here turned out to be dragging brakes.

View my Photos
marklugo

2003-01-12          47407

Indeed! I must of been dosing when I forgot to metion the tank filter. A shot of compressed air back thru the line to the tank can remedy the situation. Of course that opens up a can of worms with repriming and sediment in the tank but the best way to learn is by doing. ....

View my Photos
dwuertz

2003-01-22          47971

Hey hey!

Changing the fule filter and (both) air filters fixed the problem. After changing the fuel filter, I also had to bleed the fuel line.

Thanks for all your help.

Dave ....

View my Photos
slowrev

2003-01-22          47973

Glad to hear you are smooth powering again.

View my Photos
dwuertz

2010-09-03          173693

Thanks for posting this thread. I have a 1725 New Holland with the same (power loss) problem. I've changed the fuel filter and both air filters and have the same problem. I will try to blow air back into the fuel tank to see if that helps.

View my Photos
earthwrks

2010-09-04          173717

Did you check the filter again to check for rust and bacterial growth in bowl which looks like snot? And try running the engine without the fuel filler cap off--its vent might be clogged. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login